Struggling To Make Any Gains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
"I want to get good at cycling"

I dont really know what that means.

Fast does not equate to good in my book. I have seen a lot of fast riders who are terrible cyclists. How they have stayed alive so long is a wonder.

To me i would rather have a couple of hours in and off the saddle trundling along stopping every so often for a look at the view or have a poke around something i have come across en route .

The guys & gals that want to go quicker and not stop are fine just let them go and do it , and how true are there figures

Reactions: mjr
On the plus side I have gone from about 87kg down to 75kg so it hasn’t all been in vain.

I am one of those who knows exactly which route I am taking each and every time I go out, I also know exactly what distance it is and I know exactly what my fastest time has been and each and every time I attempt to push myself up onwards and through the black mist despite the fact that I am 69 years old. It is something I have always done in any physical one on one sport I have been involved in be that squash, swimming, cross country etc.

Some days when I go out I soon know when my entire self isn't in the correct frame of mind to crack a good time and that troubles me, it also quite often results in me giving up and simply returning home.

So why do I do it, well I so enjoy getting that buzz, that tingly feeling of achievement and knowing in my heart of hearts that my age hasn't won the battle of slowing me down!

But each to their own.

fungalcycle

If you keep pushing yourself you will soon start hating bicycling. Relax, throw those stupid counters away and any system that "measures" you, and try to just enjoy yourself along with the bike.
The choice of the bike may be a wise functional decision, but given what you have, you know better what you have more fun on. That is what will keep you on the bike more and longer.
If on the other hand you just chose bicycling for exercise alone, I suggest you give it up and get a gym card. It is like single-handing sailing in the southern oceans. You don't do it for exercise.
After a year and some months in crutches getting back on the bicycle is not prescribed by the bio-medical-industrial complex. I don't mind limping, but I couldn't live without wheels, and that is not a wheelchair.

Your relation to "the bike" is something that grows when it is the right bike and it is tuned well. It becomes part of your body and doesn't feel like exercise anymore. You get to the point where you get up from bed and need to use the restroom and feel like getting there with the bike.

Anyway, that's how I feel about it.

OP
OP
Lozi

Lozi

Thanks for the offer @biggs682 :notworthy: one of the blokes at work who cycles is from Wellingborough way and I always here him say there’s some good routes over there.

I will rephrase the “good at cycling” line, I want to get fast at cycling!

Each to their own when it comes to why you cycle but without the numbers I wouldn’t do it I enjoy pushing myself to go further or faster I would not enjoy going out and cruising about especially on my own maybe that would be different with somebody else but if the miles weren’t logged it would feel to me like I’ve wasted my time. Like I say each to their own.

Group rides seem to be a good idea many people on this thread have mentioned so I will let ok into that. I know Silverstone circuit (which is only a couple miles from me) put on cycling sessions around the circuit sometimes maybe I’ll do them.

Thanks again it’s good to hear other people experiences!

vickster

Legendary Member
A group ride isn’t just a ride around a racing circuit :wacko:

I think as said upthread 30 miles a week won’t make you a stronger or faster cyclist, Zwift might get you fitter but it is very unlikely to make you faster on the roads. A lighter bike on slick tyres might help a bit, I’m pretty much the same on any bike tho, probably because I ride the same heavily trafficked roads

Avoiding anywhere with traffic, lights, junctions is also key to getting a higher average speed. Go out early or late when there’s less traffic

Seriously, try a club, go out with a 15mph group that has a no drop rule. I’m sure somewhere locally there’ll be a ride going out early on Sat or Sun. Get the bike off the turbo and try (look up the basics of group riding first tho)

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I really can't over emphasise the effect of riding in a group for helping you increase your speed & distances. It isn't just the drag of being in other's slip stream but the atmosphere of the group ride that pulls you along mentally. The distraction of talking to other riders, watching how other riders ride, passing & being passed and focussing on other riders position in relation to you just takes your mind of the speed, distance and tiredness that normally fills your mind and stops you performing at your best.

Go out and ride a 100 miles on your own and it is a huge distance! Go out and ride that with a large group or on one of the charity/sportive type events and the day just flies by and before you know it you are at the end of a great day and 'how did that happen?' 100 miles under your belt. :okay:

mgs315

Here here for group riding. Going with a group that may appear to go pretty quick isn’t actually as daunting as it seems once you start pedalling. Especially if the group is seen as one of the entry level groups as it’ll cater for a wider ability set of riders. This will help a lot if you aren’t too strong at climbing too as they’ll hang about or assist you up those hills. Also on the flat you’ll be surprised how easier it can be to keep up if you’re sheltered in the wind.

Whilst I can find a blast of 25-30 miles at 15mph or so solo pretty damn knackering, the same distance and pace is vaguely noticeable when sheltering in a group having a chat. Even more so when it’s windy out!

It’s also when I’m after a bang for buck session I prefer to go solo as I can knacker myself quicker! :tongue:

OP
OP
Lozi

Lozi

You say 30 miles a week (I do more than that now) won’t make you a stronger or faster cyclist but I was definitely stronger and faster after doing that for 6 months. Obviously if I spent 1000’s on a new bike etc I would be moving faster but I personally wouldn’t be faster the bike would.

I wasn’t really much faster last time I rode my road bike for some reason but I expect that to be different now.

The race circuit ride is not a race it is just a few hours of fun for people without traffic so I think that would be pretty good. What worries me about the clubs is I don’t wear all the gear and they all do I guess, I don’t even wear a helmet currently so I’d probably have to buy one (I know this splits opinion)

si_c

Guru
You say 30 miles a week (I do more than that now) won’t make you a stronger or faster cyclist but I was definitely stronger and faster after doing that for 6 months. Obviously if I spent 1000’s on a new bike etc I would be moving faster but I personally wouldn’t be faster the bike would.

Pretty much. This is a problem with any sport where equipment makes a tangible difference.

I wasn’t really much faster last time I rode my road bike for some reason but I expect that to be different now.

Keep in mind that when changing from one bike to another, or adjusting your position on the bike, it will take some time to adapt and to gain the confidence you had before again - this could result in a loss of speed. I wasn't massively quicker moving from an MTB to a road bike, in part because my position was relatively aggressive to start with.

The race circuit ride is not a race it is just a few hours of fun for people without traffic so I think that would be pretty good. What worries me about the clubs is I don’t wear all the gear and they all do I guess, I don’t even wear a helmet currently so I’d probably have to buy one (I know this splits opinion)

Don't worry about clothes. Seriously. The first 100mile ride I did, I did in Nike running shorts, a t-shirt and a big hoodie, you don't need it to ride your bike. There is an argument that dedicated cycling gear is more comfortable - and I'd certainly agree with that point - but it is not necessary.

As for helmets, wear one if you want, don't wear one if you don't, there is no real evidence either way - there is a helmet thread on this forum in the advocacy and safety section, but be aware there are strong opinions - however some organisations putting on rides may require one as a condition of entry, so as with any Ts&Cs you have to abide by them if you want to play.

OP
OP
Lozi

Lozi

Yeah I have a flouro MTB top I wear and some gloves but other than that I just wear normal stuff, I figured a helmet may be required for some rides I should have one I guess for that reason at least.

I just looked at the club in my town who I thought were pro and it seems they actually do cater for all sorts so I might give them a go.

Thanks all

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
however some organisations putting on rides may require one as a condition of entry, so as with any Ts&Cs you have to abide by them if you want to play.
I have a helmet tucked away in a dark cupboard just for that very reason. It seems bizarre when I say it but I occasionally pay good money to join rides on open public roads where I am forced to wear a helmet as part of the conditions of entry! :wacko:

EDIT: I only wear it once or twice a year :rolleyes:

si_c

Guru
I have a helmet tucked away in a dark cupboard just for that very reason. It seems bizarre when I say it but I occasionally pay good money to join rides on open public roads where I am forced to wear a helmet as part of the conditions of entry! :wacko:

EDIT: I only wear it once or twice a year :rolleyes:

Same, I have an MTB helmet I sometimes wear when out MTBing with Mrs C, who can be quite irrational sometimes about helmets.

si_c

Guru
Yebbut, didn't you manage to fall off on the bimble to Scarborough?

That wasn't a fall, and I wasn't bimbling! I made the decision that if I was going to go sideways into a ditch at speed that I'd rather do it whilst not attached to the bike. Of course the going sideways and the ditch were out of my control.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The guys & gals that want to go quicker and not stop are fine just let them go and do it , and how true are there figures
Not very true. If you want to increase your average speed, the easiest way is to minimise the time you spend between flat-out and your autopause threshold. There are limits to how high you can set your autopause to before the competition sites complain, so the safer approach is to charge up to every junction, emergency stop at the latest possible moment, then sprint back up to full speed as soon as you can - which will be fine until you misjudge "the latest possible moment" :eek: and then it will hurt. Lots. And yet, I still see people cycling like that. I expected it to die off (hopefully not literally) once Strava wasn't new, but there seem to be more Straviots every year. It's nice there are more people cycling but crikey!

Try not to compare yourself with others. There's always someone faster. You are infinitely faster than someone sat on a settee eating crisps.
Some say that if it's not on Strava, it didn't happen, so no-one is sat on a settee eating crisps. :crazy:

Each to their own when it comes to why you cycle but without the numbers I wouldn’t do it I enjoy pushing myself to go further or faster I would not enjoy going out and cruising about especially on my own maybe that would be different with somebody else but if the miles weren’t logged it would feel to me like I’ve wasted my time. Like I say each to their own.
I'm a bit worried by that in at least two ways: firstly, you've been ill, so at least try to compare your numbers with some sort of acknowledgement of that - I don't know if there are communities on Strava for illnesses which might help; secondly, we are all ultimately on a long slide into the grave :ph34r: so at some point, further or faster is probably going to stop unless you go out with a bang, which ain't exactly good either - and if you stop cycling when it's not further or faster any more, you'll probably slide faster, so I hope before then you find other reasons to ride.

What worries me about the clubs is I don’t wear all the gear and they all do I guess, I don’t even wear a helmet currently so I’d probably have to buy one (I know this splits opinion)
There are some that are all the gear and probably more that are "all the gear and no idea", but there are also plenty which wear whatever (mix of lycra, old-fashioned and nothing in particular in the one I ride with - and sometimes we've worn capes, sackcloth, wellies, cardboard, ... ;) )

As for helmets, Cycling UK Member Groups are not allowed to force (some have tried but HQ seem to act on complaints), CUK Affiliates and I think Sustrans groups are discouraged (but some still do), Cyclenation groups mostly don't and British Cycling clubs aren't required to except for mass start racing, but I've only seen ones that force, although I think they're still not allowed to force time triallists but there have been repeated attempts to change it so that may have changed. That's just the current summary from memory. If anyone has updates or wants to discuss it, please post on https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/the-cyclechat-helmet-debate-thread.187059/

Top Bottom