Struggling with sizing!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good morning

I thought so too, but seen as I am here, I decided to measure my plastic bike as it is indoors and it is raining. :-)

Inside leg 81.5cm 32inch, normally buy 29inch trousers

Top of saddle to ground: 93cm (26 1/2 inches)
Top of saddle to top of seat tube:17cm
Top of seat tube to centre BB: 48cm vertical height
Top of seat tube to ground: 76cm
Ground To Centre bottom bracket: 28cm

There is a small rounding error in the steps above.

Bye

Ian

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Thanks @vickster, cock up now corrected! :rolleyes:

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
@Paul_Smith SRCC for saddle height what's your opinion of the relative merits of the .... formula ....
They are useful as a guide but all are just starting points only as far as I'm concerned, it's the same with even more elaborate calculations based on even more measurements and using software that in theory then offers the correct bike fit data, like with the popular Shimano BikeFitting.com static jig for example; even using that the results given are very much a starting point only to the extent I use it for taking measurements only; I never use their software conclusions. FWIW I personally found they recommended a saddle height too low and a reach to the bars too long; when I canvassed other users I was not alone in my summary. A few years ago I was far more involved in bike design, custom geometry especially, for someone like bencran who is not proportionate we could hand make a frame that accommodated that, accurate bike fit data to base that design is is vital, it's complete folly when it's inaccurate data of course as you'd end up with a made to measure frame that potentially didn't fit; silly that is!

Personally when I am bike fitting yes I do look at the 88.3% of inseam, in reality this is because I take several measurements of the rider, inseam and shoe size included as part of the initial fact finding. In effect it's all part of the sum of the parts, as I take their inseam I automatically calculate the 88.3% of inseam figure to quickly cross reference that with their current saddle height. By this stage we have already completed the 'question and answer' initial consultation where we have discussed issues, goals and motivation for what prompted them to desire a fitting. I have not seen the rider on their bike at this stage so it's purely giving me a potential early indication of why they have come to see me.

To repeat what I said up thread "ankling, cleat positioning, muscle groups, personal pedalling style, shoe size and type to name some of the considerations all influence leg angle and the saddle height to help achieve that" and in SkipdiverJohn's case "pretty stout footwear with thick soles if that makes any odds" is also valid. My winter shoes have a thicker sole than my summer shoes and I have a higher saddle height when I use the former to achieve the same leg angle as a result

Last edited:
OP
OP
bencran

bencran

Well it arrived today! Beautiful looking bike and first impressions feel great.

Currently cannot use it on the turbo, as I don’t have any adapters for the through axles!

Hoping the weather is good for the next few days so I can get out on it.

Attachments

• 5BCB98CC-5F27-418C-B459-F4D18EA31CBF.jpeg
    5BCB98CC-5F27-418C-B459-F4D18EA31CBF.jpeg
    193.1 KB · Views: 36
D

Deleted member 1258

Well it arrived today! Beautiful looking bike and first impressions feel great.

Currently cannot use it on the turbo, as I don’t have any adapters for the through axles!

Hoping the weather is good for the next few days so I can get out on it.

That looks nice!

Top Bottom