Struggling with this problem....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
With no air resistance, it must be a function of the height? The velocity and hence the impulse are proportional to sqrt(h) so that can be made as large or as small as wanted. There would be a time lapse while the sand was falling, but before the first impacts.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
With no air resistance, it must be a function of the height? The velocity and hence the impulse are proportional to sqrt(h) so that can be made as large or as small as wanted. There would be a time lapse while the sand was falling, but before the first impacts.

The impulse increases with height, but the time between impulses decreases. These cancel one another out, so the net effect is zero *but* there is a time dependence as the impulses start later but also finish later than the loss in weight as grains drop.

So there is an initial drop, then a period when the weight is net unchanged, then a final increase in weight recorded. The BBC explanation glosses over this.

The article linked upthread claims that there is also a net deceleration of change in height of the centre of mass of sand over time which results in a net increase in weight over the time of discharge of the sand, as I read it. Not sure I've understood that properly though.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I don't see how the 'drop' can always equalise the 'freefall'. The amount of drop will change as the sand piles up.
It's all about conversion of Potential Energy in to Kinetic Energy. PE is mgh where "h" is the height above the surface of the sand (so "h" gets smaller as sand drops through the timer). KE is 1.2mv2 where "v" is velocity. As the velocity when it hits the surface of the sand is proportional to the "h" it has dropped, the KE reduces at exactly the same rate as the PE (assuming it's a vacuum etc etc)

Milkfloat

An Peanut
It's all about conversion of Potential Energy in to Kinetic Energy. PE is mgh where "h" is the height above the surface of the sand (so "h" gets smaller as sand drops through the timer). KE is 1.2mv2 where "v" is velocity. As the velocity when it hits the surface of the sand is proportional to the "h" it has dropped, the KE reduces at exactly the same rate as the PE (assuming it's a vacuum etc etc)
Does the pile of sand not soften the impact - or even as it is a cone not deflect the impact from being directly down?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I would expect all body functions are acceptable.
All? :huh:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Does the pile of sand not soften the impact - or even as it is a cone not deflect the impact from being directly down?

The softness of impact isn't relevant - it's the net change in velocity (momentum) which delivers the force. A hard stop and a soft stop, even a bouncing stop, all deliver the same net change in the end, averaged over time between grains impacting.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Dears

This was on R4 the other morning and I have not heard the answer:

If you have an hour-glass/egg timer and you weigh it, then turn it over to allow the sand to run, does it weigh any less because some of the sand particles are in mid-air as they fall?
I think it will weigh very slightly less. @Hill Wimp thinks it will weigh the same.

Please respond with your thoughts UNLESS you heard the answer, then please keep it to yourself for a while OR hide it as a 'Spoiler'.

Cheers
FF
It seems intuitively obvious to me that you're right.

Rather than sand, think of a man holding a cannonball at the top of a structure, man, cannonball & structure all resting on super-sensitive scales. The moment he drops it from the top, it's no longer supported by the structure. The total weight, registered by the scales, will fall by a few kilos (from structure+man+cannonball to structure+man).

What happens afterwards doesn't change that t+1 'lighter' state of affairs, however transient.

Seems to me.

Levo-Lon

Guru
4mins 30 seconds for my eggs and lightly browned toast (can we say browned anymore?)
And Black pepper..can we say black pepper?
Or is it a pepper of colour..

So confusing these days just boiling an egg

Globalti

Legendary Member
No change in the weight; the acceleration and freefall of the grains will be cancelled out by their energy as they hit the pile.

Immediately after you flip the glass there will be a tiny momentary loss of weight as the first grains go into freefall and as the hour ends a tiny gain in weight as the opposite happens.

The impulse increases with height, but the time between impulses decreases. These cancel one another out, so the net effect is zero *but* there is a time dependence as the impulses start later but also finish later than the loss in weight as grains drop.

So there is an initial drop, then a period when the weight is net unchanged, then a final increase in weight recorded. The BBC explanation glosses over this.

The article linked upthread claims that there is also a net deceleration of change in height of the centre of mass of sand over time which results in a net increase in weight over the time of discharge of the sand, as I read it. Not sure I've understood that properly though.
If it was an hour timer, you'd have the same rate of sand hitting the bottom, but the velocity would be greater, so the impulse would be greater? The start and end points would be delayed because of a greater height, but the time interval when the sand would be descending would still be an hour?

Top Bottom