Stubborn Bottom bracket.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BarryK

Hi all - this is my 1st post, apologies for it being a question......

I recently purchased an old Giant GTX 840 - the aluminium frame is in good condition, apart from needing some tlc and a coat of paint, but virtually all the other parts which can wear out, are (and then some!)

I've managed to strip the frame down for respraying but the very last bit I came to, the Bottom Bracket, appears to be totally immoveable.

I think it's a Shimano cartridge type and I've managed to remove the awful die cast retainer (LH thread) from one side, but the opposite side (RH thread?) and made of hardened & tempered steel is locked up absolutely solid.

I have the correct tool for the job, but cannot apply enough torque to the tool without it disengaging from the part.

I've tried heat, impact driver and large spanner with 2 foot extension, but it won't budge.

If I could get the spindle out I'd cut the damn retainer out with the dremel.............

any advice gratefully received.

Thanks and Regards
Barry Kneller
in darkest Basildon, Essex

MajorMantra

Does it have a hollow axle? If it does you can use a quick release from a rear wheel plus washers or scrap metal to hold the tool in place, which lets you concentrate your effort on the undoing.

Matthew

Any chance of constructing a clamp to hold the BB removal tool in place and then turning the frame to loosen it -but make sure you are turning the frame the right way!

If you could get the spindle and tool in a vice this would hold it whilst you turned the frame.

gbb

Legendary Member
Have you tried liberally spraying some WD40 or similar down the seat tube and leave it for a while. It'll hopefully get into the threads of the cartridge retainer from the inside.

Jonathan M

Might need to let the guys at your LBS work some black magic on this one, there is every chance that the different metals have corroded together. I can do BB's if they are straightforward, but if I was running into the probs you desribe I'd get my LBS to do. Besides, the BB shell may need to be retapped or even faced once the BB is out.

redjedi

Über Member
I had a similar problem recently. I tried everything over a 3 week period but with limitied tools and workshop.

I ended up taking it to my lbs who took about 25 mins to get it out,with one of the staff hanging off the wrench until it loosened.

They aslo took the pedals off the cranks, which were just as difficult, fitted a new BB and charged me £5 labour for about 40 mins of work, which I was more than happy to pay.

02GF74

Über Member
just to confirm, the right side i.e. the one with the chain rings is left hand thread.

and yes, they can be a bugger to undo.

you may need a second person but get a breaker bar, pull on it then whck with a rubber mallet to shcok it undone.

it does seem quite frightening thinking you'll damage the fram but I am sure they are capable of it.

also as ^^^ say, penetraing oil, rather than WD40, then leave it overnight for a few nights, do it from both sides then attack with the big lever.

or LBS.

OP
OP
B

BarryK

Thanks for all the good advice folks - the stubborn BB surrendered unconditionally this morning. :biggrin:

Method used was to soak with penetrating oil for about 3 days, then bolt the park tool onto the crank (crank bolts not long enough and no m8 x1mm bolts handy so, as the cassette was totally shot anyway, I tapped it out m8 x 1.25 )

Held the crank tool in the vice and rotated the frame, piece of cake, couldn't believe how easily it came out after the struggle I had last week.........

Thanks again - no doubt I shall be back.........

Cheers :smile:
Barry
in darkest Basildon, Essex

Top Bottom