Stubborn suburban mule

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
User1314 said:
I cycle about a two feet out from the kerb. However, cars can't wait and always try to shoot thtough, expecting you to enter the kerb. You don't so the car/4x4 does a sharp left by half a foot (still at some speed) and you end up gesticulating to the driver. Which really stresses me out.

This a clear case for cycling in the primary position, by kerb hugging you are encouraging drivers to try and squeeze through because they see space which think is theirs. It also projects victim and encourages them to bully you.

Act confident, take up the primary position is good time and control your road space. Read Cyclecraft for further advice.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Hairy Jock said:
This a clear case for cycling in the primary position, by kerb hugging you are encouraging drivers to try and squeeze through because they see space which think is theirs. It also projects victim and encourages them to bully you.

Act confident, take up the primary position is good time and control your road space. Read Cyclecraft for further advice.

In fact carry Cyclecraft with you. Then, in an altercation, you can swat the motorist round the head with it...:biggrin:

LOGAN 5

Had a situation the other evening on a suburban rat run, cars parked on both sides, only room for one car to get down the middle so when I'm there I ride out so as to make them wait behind otherwise I get squeezed in but I do move over when the road widens up. Was doing just this and I knew a car was behind and had to wait behind me. When I eventually moved over he beeped as if to say get out of my way when actually at that point I was, moron. Anyhow just 500 meters up the road he got stuck in a long line of traffic.....I just sailed past on the outside on the white line and rang my bell and waved at him, he just turned and looked at me then I was gone..ha ha. He would have been stuck there for ages.

They must be so frustrated with their journeys to behave the way they do.

Agree with an earlier post that it's the suburban bits that are the most dangerous as drivers race this section as they know they're going to get stuck further on in the city.

Top Bottom