Stuck Lids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
Bought a jar of Waitrose pickle, but couldn't unscrew the top. Tried again and again. Tried hot water over the lid. Nothing worked.

So googled and found a solution!

Using a wooden spoon or similar, went round the top edge, tapping all the way. This apparently helps to release the vaccum causing it to be stuck.

Came undone on the next attempt with very little effort. I was amazed, so thought it might help fellow chatters.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I just stick the top in boiling water for a few secs.

markemark

Über Member
Bought a jar of Waitrose pickle, but couldn't unscrew the top. Tried again and again. Tried hot water over the lid. Nothing worked.

So googled and found a solution!

Using a wooden spoon or similar, went round the top edge, tapping all the way. This apparently helps to release the vaccum causing it to be stuck.

Came undone on the next attempt with very little effort. I was amazed, so thought it might help fellow chatters.

Yeah, just gently tap all around the edge of the lid on the table top (no spoons needed) - works every time.

Dadam

Back end of a metal spoon* under the lid, lever it up a bit. There'll be a pop when the vacuum seal goes, then the lid will come off easily.

*Or the business end of a flat screwdriver. Something strong and slim but blunt.

presta

Guru
I use fish paste jars for my herbs & spices because the lids are airtight. The lids come off easily when new, but they're a pig to get on & off thereafter.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
This little gadget works well:

7706_1?$610$.jpg

Available from Lakeland.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I use fish paste jars for my herbs & spices because the lids are airtight. The lids come off easily when new, but they're a pig to get on & off thereafter.
Fish Paste, whatever became of that? Used to love it as a child, obviously still available but who buys it these days?

Top Bottom