Stuck on where to go

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simon_m

Guru
Hi there. Looking for a few ideas on where to go in France this year. We were looking at Megeve, but the accomodation is pricey. Started looking briefly around Chambery and Aix-les-Bains. Climbs look hard and steep, (don't enjoy climbing, but hey). Has anyone stayed around that area? Is it as pricey as Megeve? Or any other recommendations around that level of France. Even Switzerland is a possibility. Thanks.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Take a look at the Massif central - it is beautiful with quiet roads - stiff climbs if you want them, bags of accommodation and lovely towns/villages. The area round Cantal especially so and also great around Mont Dore area and the high plateau in Correze

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
Take a look at the Massif central - it is beautiful with quiet roads - stiff climbs if you want them, bags of accommodation and lovely towns/villages. The area round Cantal especially so and also great around Mont Dore area and the high plateau in Correze

Hi there, yep been there, totally amazing. Went through there when we cycled across France in 2016. You are right, no one guys there and it is amazing!!! It was on our list because of the reasons you gave. Will google the places you mentioned. Thank you.

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
Annecy. You can ride round the lake and up some mountains too. ( steep). Lovely town and market on Sunday.

thanks, same area as Aix-les-Bains. Local markets are always fab :smile: was it expensive to stay around there? that was the problem we found with Megeve. Much appreciated.

gom

Über Member
Was in the Vercors recently. Fantastique.
The Col de Rousett (from the South), Combe Laval, Gorge de la Bourne, .... Want to be there again just thinking about it.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
We stayed two years ago just outside Annecy in a gite for a week. I think we paid less than 200 euros if my memory serves me well. The Gite was called : "Le chene vert" and was about half way between Annecy and Aix les Bains.

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
We stayed two years ago just outside Annecy in a gite for a week. I think we paid less than 200 euros if my memory serves me well. The Gite was called : "Le chene vert" and was about half way between Annecy and Aix les Bains.

thats amazing info, thanks very much :smile:))))

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
Yep, that's the one. Great location and lovely house. The field in front of the house had two donkeys in it.
haha sounds great. looks like it is fully booked apart from the first weeks of July, when I like to be glued to the TV for Le Tour. Might be something else nearby. Thanks for the tip, looks lovely

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
If you fancy the Ardeches with loads to see and great rides, we also stayed in a Gite called " La Demoiselle" in Ribes. It is located on the side of a hill with smashing views. It is only 1 bedroom but they also have one above it a bit bigger. Good luck.

Top Bottom