Stuck Pedal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
I'm changing the pedals on my GT, have got the right one off easy peasy, but the left one is jammed tight..Was beginning to think I was getting old & feeble, but even the might & brawn of the 6'4" Teenager can't shift it.
I've sprayed it with..Ok don't shoot me.. WD40 stuff & left it soaking for a couple of hours, but it's still on tight.

Anyone got any tricks I could use to get it off..?

Cheers Muchly xx

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
It's just possible you're going in the wrong direction. The left hand pedal has a backwards thread - you have to screw it clockwise to get it off. "Right is right, left is wrong" is how I always remember which is which.

Monty Dog

Point the crank towards the front wheel, fit the wrench handle inline with the crank (forwards), pull up on the wrench whilst pressing down on the pedal with your foot. If this doesn't work, apply more leverage.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
[quote name='swee'pea99' timestamp='1320272144' post='1906680']
It's just possible you're going in the wrong direction. The left hand pedal has a backwards thread - you have to screw it clockwise to get it off. "Right is right, left is wrong" is how I always remember which is which.
[/quote]
Highly likely, I'd say! (That's how I remember it too.)

I had the same problem before some kind person pointed out my error.

The other thing I'd say about undoing pedals is - make sure that you don't slip and gash your hand on the big chainring - I've done that too! Nowadays, I set the pedal spanner up at a suitable angle and press down on it with my foot - it's much easier, and safer.

cycleruk

you need to try and increase the turning power or torque of the spanner you are using, you could doing this by getting hold of some scaffolding bar or something to increase the length of the spanner, maybe put it in a vice or something as well to hold it. if this dont work then you may well end up having to buy a new crank arm :sad:

PpPete

Legendary Member
I've had the same recently. Rounded off the hex on the pedal side, so went for the socket in the back... still not budging.
Penetrating fluid (several hours) - no
Blowtorch (aluminium has greater coefficient of thermal expansion than steel IIRC) - no
Mahoosive extender bar on the 8 mm allen key - head of allen key twisted through 60 deg before attempt abandoned.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Ok, it's not recommended by leading experts, but I've found that a sudden impact can sometimes work when even strong steady pressure won't. So clamp the crank, attach your spanner and give it a good sharp whack with a hammer. At your own wotsit, needless to say...

Night Train

Maker of Things
For really stubbon pedals I place the spanner in such a position that it makes an accute angle to the crank, in the right direction, and then squeeze the crank and spanner together like a nutcracker. The spanner only needs to move a small distance and so trapping or gouging of fingers isn't an issue.

If it is still beyond even my hand strength I set the spanner and crank as before but with the pedal roughly horizontal and the spanner pointing slightly upwards. I place a solid object under the pedal end of the crank, a lump of wood or a car jack set to the right height works well bit other solid objects will do, and then I hit the end of the spanner downwards with a hammer.
That one never fails and is safe if you take a few precutions.
Hold the pedal still keeping your hand clear of the hammer and spanner.
If the spanner won't stay still hold the shaft of the spanner loosely from above while hitting the end of it downwards. That way if it suddenly goes free it will slip out of your fingers and not take them into the crank.

Having the spanner travel across the BB axis reduces the turning effect on the crank. Having the spanner pointing away from the BB, in line with the crank, requires a lot more effort being spent preventing the crank turning or lifting the bike and so less of the available effort goes into loosening the pedal.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
A tip for next time - grease the pedal bolt well as you're installing it. I've never had a problem either with getting a pedal off when I want to or with a pedal coming off when I don't want it to.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Big pedal spanner is what you need, at least a foot long. If it's allen key fit, then they are buggers to get off. Some pipe on the end of the allen key.

Top Bottom