Stuck Stem !!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landsurfer

Veteran
In 50 years of building my own bikes i have had many stuck seat posts to deal with ..... but never a stem !
80's Carlton Corsair .... stem stuck ....
Hacksaw through it, remove the forks, knock it out, with a bit of heat ,,,,
Or is there a less destructive way ?????

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Odds are it wont knock out
I have over the years drilled a few out ie cut stem near to top of the threads remove forks from frame and place in vice and start drilling with a 22mm o/d drill bit

midlife

Guru
It's difficult to bend the cast fork crown, big block of wood tight up against the base of the forks to hold it and then twist the stem might work.

Big John

Guru
Bit of patience and maybe, if you're lucky, you might be able to free it up after soaking it to death in plus gas as Fossyant says. Turn the bike upside down and pour the plus gas down inside the forks. I've not freed one up for years but that worked for me. Leave it to soak overnight, beat it senseless next day and repeat until you or the bike wins 😉

a.twiddler

Veteran
Plus Gas needs to be used in a well ventilated space. It certainly stinks but it has shifted stuff for me that I never thought would move again. Just need time, patience (and maybe a bit of brute force).

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
If it's powdery aluminium corrosion, Plus Gas is unlikely to work. The corrosion product expands and really sticks the stem in place. Caustic soda will get it out and paint damage is unlikely if you're careful.

Can you unfasten the headset and slide the stem far enough to get some heat on the steerer tube? Heat will shift anything.

fritz katzenjammer

Der Ubergrosserbudgie
After trying heat, chemical warfare and every version of brute force I could think of I recently got a stuck quill out of a 1970s Bridgestone by slowing pouring boiling water over the assembly. I went through about a gallon of water doing it, but it worked really well.

This was suggested by one of the guys over on the CABE forum, a worthwhile source of good tricks for servicing old bikes.

Top Bottom