Stuck zip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
I have found an old pannier bag at the back of the wardrobe. It could be useable except that the plastic zips are stuck and the pull tabs have broken off.

Any tips on freeing up the zips?

Ajax Bay

Guru
WD40 as a start, left for a while, and repeated. And a handful of patience.

rrarider

Veteran
I wouldn't recommend WD40 for anything other than a squeaky gate hinge or keeping moisture out of a distributor cap. It dries to leave a sticky gunge. For metal zips with smallish teeth, rubbing a soft pencil along them helps lubricate the runner. If the teeth are small enough, then it might be appropriate for nylon teeth too. If detritus is jamming up the runner, then a squirt of cigarette lighter fuel (naphtha) might help.

classic33

Leg End Member
If you can get something in to replace the tag, they may just open up easily, I think something in there locks the zip closed
On some, which the zip tie* will "unlock".

*Mentioned by @alicat

rrarider

Veteran
I managed to shift the zip with white spirit and brute force. Just need to get some cots to tie to the zipper and the pannier will be back in action.
I'm glad that you freed it. To replace the puller tag, rather than use cotton, try the strands that form the inner of paracord, if you have any. These strands are really strong and I used them to replace the tag on my cycling leggings' ankle cuff.

Top Bottom