Student Landlords.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
My god,we are having trouble with not one but both sets of landlords.They are trying to keep a large part of the bond.On Monday four of us cleaned Dan's flatIt was spotless,at the moment we have not seen the list of things that are supposed to be wrong,i can see a phone call to the GMB Union i am a life member.The other landlord up in Edinburgh is trying a good scam out.He has no idea that the last tenants know one of the six in this year.So when asked did he stop any money yes hhe did,it was for x and x and x and so on.Guesss what all those x's and so on's,are now the reason he wants repair money from our six.Little does he know,what we know.We are asking him for written details,so he can hang himself,taking money under false pretences.Taken money last year and not done the repairs.This is going to be good.

Drago

Legendary Member
The Edinburgh landlord is committing a fraud.

matiz

Guru
A lot of landlords regard deposits as free money and make up bogus repairs which they don't carry out,then they repeat it on the next Tennants ,I've worked for enough of them to see what goes on,it was tried on us when we were moving a few years ago I ended up going round to his offices and refusing to move until he coughed up which after squirming for a hour or so he eventually did.

Slick

Guru
It was for a different reason but I learned long ago that a delapidation survey is essential in these types of agreements.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
On strategy is simply not to pay the last month's or whatever rent when you give notice. Be above board and say "you have the last month's rent as deposit so we're quits"

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
A bit off-topic, but when I was a student in London many years ago we rented a flat from a very very dodgy Kuwaiti guy. Rent was always in cash and I’m sure he wasn’t excited by consecutively numbered notes. At the end of the tenancy we went to pick up the deposit only to find he’d done a bunk and gone home. To Kuwait. June 1990. Wonder if he survived, the b@stard.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My god,we are having trouble with not one but both sets of landlords.They are trying to keep a large part of the bond.On Monday four of us cleaned Dan's flatIt was spotless,at the moment we have not seen the list of things that are supposed to be wrong,i can see a phone call to the GMB Union i am a life member.The other landlord up in Edinburgh is trying a good scam out.He has no idea that the last tenants know one of the six in this year.So when asked did he stop any money yes hhe did,it was for x and x and x and so on.Guesss what all those x's and so on's,are now the reason he wants repair money from our six.Little does he know,what we know.We are asking him for written details,so he can hang himself,taking money under false pretences.Taken money last year and not done the repairs.This is going to be good.

I wish you well in sticking it to the scum landlord, but I predict you will fail.

He will be expert at the lying and obfuscation needed to face you down meaning you will lose the will - or run out of the resources needed - to fight before he does.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Except that strategy isn’t fair.

Mr R had a delapidation survey done on the house in Newmarket. An independent third party identified £1,500 worth of damage (outside of normal wear and tear) which had to be paid for - in this case out of the deposit. If the tenant had refused to pay the last month’s rent then Mr R would have been stuck with that bill.

In the London flat, a survey identified about £100 worth of damage - but we gave the whole deposit back as they’d been good tenants and behaved reasonably.

But why should a known dodgy landlord be the one holding the money and de facto sole arbiter of whether he chooses to keep it?

I sympathise with you on your apparently bad tennants, but I've heard so many tales of landlords moaning when a crappy MFI sofa is knackered after five lads have been sitting on it for 5 years

screenman

Legendary Member
But why should a known dodgy landlord be the one holding the money and de facto sole arbiter of whether he chooses to keep it?

I sympathise with you on your apparently bad tennants, but I've heard so many tales of landlords moaning when a crappy MFI sofa is knackered after five lads have been sitting on it for 5 years

I thought the deposit had to be lodged by law, if it was not then the tenant has law on their side.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Unfortunately the whole Buy To Let shenanigans have left the market filled with amateur landlords with most of their attention on the final sale value and not providing a professional level service

Slick

Guru
[QUOTE 5309994, member: 259"]No, but I have had to counter several contracts with landlords who take every opportunity to abuse student tenants by illegally misinterprerting their contracts. Luckily I have been able to stuff them all so far.[/QUOTE]
That's good, but maybe you could do a bit more homework before entering into an agreement with shysters.

Top Bottom