Student Research - GCSE portable Bike Stand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

th713

Hello,

For my GCSE, I need to take a survey on views for my product, in this case a portable bike stand.

Please could you answer my survey, it only has about 10 questions and shouldn't take more than 3 or 4 minutes. Data will be used for anonymised analysis (the most personal question is age bracket) in my coursework.

Here's the link: https://eSurv.org?u=tombikestand or, if that doesn't work https://eSurv.org?s=LLMMIG_8c6460f0

Thanks for your time,
Tom

Last edited:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Hi Tom
I started your survey but I stopped when I got to this bit.
upload_2015-11-19_8-54-48.png

What problem? You haven't identified a problem.
It would be better if you amended the survey to explain what you think the 'problem' is, or even to ask if cyclists think it is a problem.

You mention 'bike stand' in your post - so this is probably something to do with the problem. However this could be interpreted in two ways:
- something to make the bike stand up on its own when you leave it somewhere
- something to hold the bike off the ground at a comfortable height for working on it and which allows you to turn the pedals/wheels while working on the drive train.

From the pictures on the 3rd page of your survey, I think you mean the former, but many folks will not get that far. To be honest, it's not something I consider to be a problem. There is usually something to lean my bike on, and if there isn't it can lie on the ground. If I'm leaving it somewhere, I chain it to something so it can lean on whatever I chain it to. And I carry enough stuff around with me without adding to the weight by having a portable stand. However this is not to say that your idea is a bad one - people use bikes in many different ways and some may well want the kind of thing you are proposing.

(Note that the 'grandstand' shows something that many cyclists refer to as a 'wheelbender'! So whatever the results of your survey, I would avoid something like that!)

And I have to say that the adverts within the survey are annoying! If you do another survey in the future, consider something like SurveyMonkey which (I think!) does not insert ads like this.

These comments are all meant constructively, and I wish you well with your project.
Spinney

winjim

Smash the cistern
I agree with Spinney, you first need to determine that there is a problem before trying to solve it. I don't personally have a need for a bike stand, which I hope I expressed by setting the amount I would be willing to spend at zero.

OP
OP
th713

th713

Thank you both for taking the survey and the time to leave a comment. I do see what you mean about it not really being a problem, some people I've spoken to seek to like the idea, and others prefer the more traditional method of balancing with back wheel and wall, so I guess it depends who you are. It's probably most useful to tourers and personally I find a stand more reaussuring than leaning. Perhaps if other features, e.g a bottle holder were included it would become more useful as you could use both when stopped or moving.

Thanks again,
Tom

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Hi Tom
If you amend the wording of the survey a bit, you will still get some responses here.
You could perhaps include a question that says it is about bike stands, and asks if people would use one. People who say 'no' could be asked why not, and then stop the survey there. People who might use one could go on to answer questions about what kind of stand. Just a thought!
Good luck with your project.

Yeah, you need to take down the survey until you fix it. It's unanswerable as it is. Even after reading your posts here, it is not clear what is "the problem" Is it the problem of standing your bike up, or some issue with current stands or something else?

And while you are editing your survey, you need to add: "other" to bike types. I have a folder, for instance. There are cargo bikes and tricycles (though they have usually got the stand problem licked) and recumbents. I'd also suggest clarifying the "how far do you generally ride" to "how far do you generally ride in a week?". My rides vary between 1km and 100km, so can't my weekly distance would be a better guide to how much riding I do.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
You haven't got "folding bike" on your list of types of bike. ;)

Just a general comment ... a bike stand (as opposed to a work stand) has never occurred to me as something I want/need. I either lean it against a wall/fence or lay it on the ground, support it against the kerb by a pedal or, occasionally if riding with someone else, face the bikes in opposite directions and lean them against each other.

young Ed

Veteran
i never use a stand when out on a ride, even if i stop at a cafe etc it is either in my hand, between my legs or (VERY rarely) leaned against a wall or similar and locked up with someone else i'm riding with watching every ones bikes
when i do how ever use a stand is at home, the nicer bike lives in a work stand that holds it securely and safely off the ground, no risk of damage or falling etc and as the name would suggest i also use it as intended for carrying out anything from basic maintenance such is chain lubing and brake adjustment to full bike builds from the frame up
Cheers Ed

Top Bottom