Stumped! Chain skipping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

broncobilly99

At last - A bike more tatty looking than my own lol

😁 Try harder!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I gave My old Marin Bear valley chain a quick clean a week or so back and just thought I would check the chain wear let's just say the 75% indicator had lots of room left so the chain is well worn , no skipping or playing up but it will get replaced along with the cassette and some other things that are due to be replaced.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I even save part-worn chains, when it gets to the point a new chain won't go on then guess what a part-worn one fits lovely mind this is only on the 'workhorses' both 21 speed
Yes - this can work but bear in mind that those elongated chains, mating quite happily for a few thousand km with a worn cassette, will cause significant levels of wear on alloy (normal replaceable) chainrings. If steel (eg triple 'MTB' (riveted rings) chainset on 'workhorses'): not an issue. In any case I suspect your two workhorses are not doing much annual mileage.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yes - this can work but bear in mind that those elongated chains, mating quite happily for a few thousand km with a worn cassette, will cause significant levels of wear on alloy (normal replaceable) chainrings. If steel (eg triple 'MTB' (riveted rings) chainset on 'workhorses'): not an issue. In any case I suspect your two workhorses are not doing much annual mileage.

They'd do between a hundred and two hundred a week depending on where I was working but I never took the chains beyond about 1 1/2 % wear on the 2nd fitting. Probably get 4 new chains on before wear on the block meant I couldn't get a new un on. Another use was giving them away to workmates who'd put a new chain on their BSO and found it skipped so I'd tell em they needed a new freewheel but this should get them out of the cack for now.
Incidentally I found a way of getting them fitted..............Take the wheel into the shop (note not the bike just the wheel) and buy a matching Cassette/freewheel then ask "could you just fit that for me" 9 times out of 10 they would and not charge but only cos they hadn't got to remove the wheel, fit the new un and then twiddle with the indexing/brakes. It only takes a couple of minutes whereas fitting one to a bike could take 20 minutes or more.

BTW I have owned no other vehicle since 1985 although my partner for 5 of those years had a car.

OP
OP
B

broncobilly99

Just like to say, thank you for all the great input guys. I really appreciate it, I think it's 100% a mis match between chain and cassette.

That did cross my mind but I thought the cog teeth were in reasonable nick but clearly they fused with that particular old chain over time.

Thanks again, friendly bunch😁

OP
OP
B

broncobilly99

See the big sprocket profile, then see the pointy sprockets below? The teeth should have a profile like that on the biggest sprocket, not the pointy sharks tooth profile. They are clearly very worn.

Absolutely. The unused cogs are the correct profile and the shark teeth one's just melded with that particular chain for it to function and not slip.

Jaws is about, better get a better cassette!

Top Bottom