Stupid cycling infrastructure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ExBrit

Über Member
While planning my next bike trip, I wondered why rwgps didn't use the Salem Parkway bike path through Chemawa, WA.

1688672485104.png

When I went into satellite view I could see why.
1688672568984.png

To continue on the bike path you're expected to cross an off-ramp, a busy 6-lane road, and an on-ramp. I expect the city says "Hey we built this bike path but no-one uses it so we're not going to build anymore". This kind of stuff makes me mad.

Daninplymouth

One of my local faves, main road with a cycle path all along. Get to the new housing estate and only side road and they decided to end the cycle lane force you onto the pavement to cross the road then the pavement ends the other side so your pushed back onto the cycle lane back on the road.
Surely they'd be better with a narrower pavement and continuing a separate cycle lane rather than a shared path for 100mtrs

IMG_2317.jpeg

All uphill

Still rolling along
This could be a long and depressing thread.

I used to be part of a local group campaigning for walking and cycling to be properly included in local infrastructure. It became clear to me that the Highways people thought their job was to make life easy for motorists. Anything else was an inconvenience.

It was not good for my health so I stopped and got out on the bike more.

Mike_P

Guru
Can honestly say I never seen a cyclist use this shared pavement, to make it even worse at the far end (a probably too extensive term for its length) their is a Cyclists Dismount sign:banghead:
1688679363473.png

There use to be this to fool new cyclists to it on Otley Road (the 2019 UCI circuit whent in the opposing direction) - look a cycle lane on the up grade road only for it to end just before the bus shelter with cyclists then expected to give way to road traffic. Was removed rather than being extended.
1688679747190.png

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
While planning my next bike trip, I wondered why rwgps didn't use the Salem Parkway bike path through Chemawa, WA.

View attachment 697798

When I went into satellite view I could see why.
View attachment 697799

To continue on the bike path you're expected to cross an off-ramp, a busy 6-lane road, and an on-ramp. I expect the city says "Hey we built this bike path but no-one uses it so we're not going to build anymore". This kind of stuff makes me mad.

There are traffic lights though, with pedestrian/cycle buttons.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Warrington Cycle Campaign used to be the go-to for crap cycle infrastructure but it looks like the site is no longer being maintained.
Probably because it took up a chunk of time and achieved little beyond depressing campaigners and annoying the people we need to change.

Some examples are things being built piecemeal by developers and then councils never funding the things they should connect to. Some, especially Cycleways Resembling A Pavement are just cheapskate councils. Both those are finally starting to be punished by Active Travel England's scoring of councils that affect their budgets. Things can be fixed but it ain't quick and there's a lot to fix.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
A favourite example of cycle lanes painted where not needed only to end where they are needed - through the pinch-points. A wide, relatively quiet road. Valley Road

Alex321

Veteran
A favourite example of cycle lanes painted where not needed only to end where they are needed - through the pinch-points. A wide, relatively quiet road. Valley Road

They wouldn't fit where they are "needed" though.

If the cycle lane continued at the same width, cars could not fit in what would be left of the road by the island. They HAVE to end the lane there unless they are going to physically modify the road.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...

If the cycle lane continued at the same width, cars could not fit in what would be left of the road by the island. They HAVE to end the lane there unless they are going to physically modify the road.

Agreed - I always took primary at those points, but why bother to waste paint on the rest of the road. They don' t HAVE to end there anyway as they are advisory markings.

Reactions: mjr

Alex321

Veteran
Agreed - I always took primary at those points, but why bother to waste paint on the rest of the road. They don' t HAVE to end there anyway as they are advisory markings.

Good point - I'd missed the fact they are dashed lines rather than the solid ones which are mandatory for motor vehicles not entering.

Drago

Legendary Member

Those bottlenecks have all been removed in nearby Milton Keynes as the figures over the years had shown that they simply turned a minor speeding problem into a fairly serious head-on collision dead people problem.

the snail

Guru

They should continue the cycle lane and reduce the main traffic lane to a single lane, preferably with a raised footway. Probably hould be 20mph limit by a school too.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom