Stupid/life threatening things that people (maybe you or me) do

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Just looking at a (genuine) video clip of a guy working at a zoo. He decides to put his hand through the wires to stroke a lion !!!
The obvious happens.
Fortunately for him he only lost one finger:rolleyes:. You can see it all as it happens.
The link is available if you google it.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Ospreys Prop Scott Baldwin did this in South Africa, some years back

I'm sure there are easier ways to get into the Lions :laugh:

I remember Steve Tandy's Press conference : "I don't know what wildlife programmes Scott has been watching, but...." while AWJ was struggling to keep a straight face.

D

Deleted member 1258

There was a story recently of a group of poachers that got into a game reserve intent on poaching the reserves Rhinos, unfortunately they ran into the local Lion pride first. The park rangers had trouble recovering the remains, and there wasn't a lot left.

Last edited by a moderator:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
The "engineer"on a small local ferry lost the end of a finger in the engine room. H & S appeared and asked how how managed to do this. With the other hand he demonstrated "easy I just stuck my finger in here with the engine running". Now got the ends of two fingers missing.
This is a true story as I knew the individual involved.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
The "engineer"on a small local ferry lost the end of a finger in the engine room. H & S appeared and asked how how managed to do this. With the other hand he demonstrated "easy I just stuck my finger in here with the engine running". Now got the ends of two fingers missing.
This is a true story as I knew the individual involved.

Similar happened to my Dad when he worked on trawlers, he was one of the engineers, the engine had stopped working (not good when fishing in the North Sea) - he was tinkering with it when the engine started again, and his finger go trapped... Only option was one of the crew who was quickest with a saw... He also became very unpopular with the crew as after he was advised to put his finger in salt (& he went through a lot) until a helicopter could be arranged to winch him back to a hospital...

stephec

Legendary Member
There was a story recently of a group of poachers that got into a game reserve intent on poaching the reserves Rhinos, unfortunately they ran into the local Lion pride first. The park rangers had trouble recovering the remains, and there wasn't a lot left.

Today's good news story.

It's the kind of thing Trevor Mcdonald would introduce with, 'and finally......'

colly

Re member eR
I used to work for an engineering company. On one large project we had installed a 10'' (275mm) cast iron underground water main all around the entire site. High pressure mains like this have 'thrust blocks' installed at every change of direction to essentially stop the main from moving when large quantities of water are suddenly turned through 90 degs.
The thrust block is usually something like a 1m cube of concrete, the elbow on the water main resting on the block.
We had a dead end on the main sealed with a blank flange, ready for any future extension. The blank flange had a thrust block to stop movement.
So testing the main involved filling with water and then using a hand pump increasing the pressure to well above the expected working pressure (probably 300psi/ 20 bar) to check for leaks and movement.
Cue the inspector walking the main checking for leaks etc and eventually he comes to the blank flange. he is not amused to see there is a gap between the flange and the block, he says to his mate:

' Look at this, enough room to get your bloody fingers in.'

And he demonstrates by sticking his hand in. One second before or one second later he would have been fine. The main shifted at exactly the wrong time and he lost two fingers between the bolts on the flange and the thrust block.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I dip into "Admiral Cloudberg" website occasionally for detailed reports on air crashes; I'm amazed to read of junior pilots sitting in silence while the bullying older pilot flies them and their passengers into the ground.

Top Bottom