Stupid pedestrian, stupid cyclist

MLS

Senior Member
Hi all. The stupid cyclist was me, so this is sort of a confession.

When I was cycling home today a pedestrian walked into the road and I nearly cycled into him. As I passed he shouted very angrily "What are you doing? You prick!" Actually it may have been "f***ing prick". I can't remember.

Anyway, I would have liked to have told him calmly that I'm one of those mundane cyclists without psychic powers, and that if he walks into the road in front of me without looking, while listening to his ipod, then stops, speeds up, and stops again, then there's not too much I can do. To my shame I condensed all this into a well-known two-word phrase which I shouted over my shoulder as I carried on. I regreted it immediately - not only because he seemed a 'salt of the Earth' type, and if he'd wanted to he probably could have caught up with me at a nearby junction and given me a pounding.

I think I probably reinforced the reckless, callous cyclist stereotype quite effectively then. Sorry everyone.
 
OP
M

MLS

Senior Member
Hi all. The stupid cyclist was me, so this is sort of a confession.

When I was cycling home today a pedestrian walked into the road and I nearly cycled into him. As I passed he shouted very angrily "What are you doing? You prick!" Actually it may have been "f***ing prick". I can't remember.

Anyway, I would have liked to have told him calmly that I'm one of those mundane cyclists without psychic powers, and that if he walks into the road in front of me without looking, while listening to his ipod, then stops, speeds up, and stops again, then there's not too much I can do. To my shame I condensed all this into a well-known two-word phrase which I shouted over my shoulder as I carried on. I regreted it immediately - not only because he seemed a 'salt of the Earth' type, and if he'd wanted to he probably could have caught up with me at a nearby junction and given me a pounding.

I think I probably reinforced the reckless, callous cyclist stereotype quite effectively then. Sorry everyone.
 

CarnageAX

New Member
Location
Lancashire, UK
Good for you ... if you were feeling really cut up about it you could have turned round and hit him on the way across the other lane. Sorry mate didn't see you there!
 

CarnageAX

New Member
Location
Lancashire, UK
Good for you ... if you were feeling really cut up about it you could have turned round and hit him on the way across the other lane. Sorry mate didn't see you there!
 

Tynan

Veteran
Location
e4
how's that stupid, any ped in the road not minding his business is an idiot

I've slowed right down on several sections of my route since it got dark because of people wandering around, literally, the ones running across or waltzing around but making any effort not to run over I can live with, the ones in a daydream deserve to have an accident, simple as that
 
OP
M

MLS

Senior Member
Thanks both for your support, but I think I was stupid for swearing at him. I should have ignored him instead.
 

bianco

New Member
I think the best course of action is to cut it as close as possible without hitting them. Scare them off the road and make sure in future they look and are aware.

Damn, I could be a motorist talking about cyclists!
 

domtyler

Über Member
Tynan said:
how's that stupid, any ped in the road not minding his business is an idiot

I've slowed right down on several sections of my route since it got dark because of people wandering around, literally, the ones running across or waltzing around but making any effort not to run over I can live with, the ones in a daydream deserve to have an accident, simple as that
That's not really a very nice thing to wish on someone is it? Would you still feel that way if it was a relative or friend of yours that had just been knocked over and killed while crossing the road?
 

col

Veteran
Its so common now isnt it?Humans showing lemmings tendancies.They seem to think its everyone elses responsibility for their safety.not theirs.Im surprised there havnt been deaths where i drive,just a matter of time though.
 

domtyler

Über Member
col said:
Its so common now isnt it?Humans showing lemmings tendancies.They seem to think its everyone elses responsibility for their safety.not theirs.Im surprised there havnt been deaths where i drive,just a matter of time though.
People have always been wandering around Col, what is more common nowadays is a load of selfish peanuts in motor vehicles with the ability to coolly and casually take our lives.
 

col

Veteran
domtyler said:
People have always been wandering around Col, what is more common nowadays is a load of selfish peanuts in motor vehicles with the ability to coolly and casually take our lives.

I think the two are related,or even one and the same,its seems to be both are as bad as each other,no common sense,no thought for others, real attitude problems,and the innocent ones suffer because of it.
 

domtyler

Über Member
col said:
I think the two are related,or even one and the same,its seems to be both are as bad as each other,no common sense,no thought for others, real attitude problems,and the innocent ones suffer because of it.
Yeah point taken, I guess the world is full of people who only worry about what is happening in their personal little bubble, totally oblivious to anyone else.

Of course it is only when you put these folk inside a heavy, steel armoured, fast moving and powerful machine that the danger is introduced to the equation.
 

col

Veteran
domtyler said:
Yeah point taken, I guess the world is full of people who only worry about what is happening in their personal little bubble, totally oblivious to anyone else.

Of course it is only when you put these folk inside a heavy, steel armoured, fast moving and powerful machine that the danger is introduced to the equation.

Your right,its even more worrying when lemmings take control of one of those.
 
Top Bottom