stupid question no.1: slicks on MTB wheels and tyre width

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

outlash

also available in orange
On a bit of budget atm, so while the planned road bike purchase will have to wait, I'm using a MTB for road use. I'd like to put some slicks on it but I'm unsure if you can put skinny (ish) tyres on what appear to be wider rims. The tyre size is 26 x 1.95, if I bought say 26 x 1.5 or slimmer, would they fit onto the rim or do I have to buy 1.95 width tyres?

TIA

Tony.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No I have fitted 1.2 to an older wider rim. Michelin do a wicked slick 1.4 tyre at the minute which I am about to get for my son to do road circuit training with.

Your bike will look really weird, but I found the 1.2's were as fast as road bikes.

lip03

Über Member
No expert but from my knowledge you would have to buy the right width you can get some good slicks for mtb I think schwalbe do some called big apples they seem quite wide . Oh and when you do slick up your mtb!watch that front brake in the wet! Ended up on my arse when I first started riding slick in the wet believe me it's not dignified or fun :smile:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I'm not convinced that the skinny tyres are faster! I have always been more than happy with the performance of my 26X2.1 slicked MTB (Continental city contact? or similar name but with minimal tread consisting of just a few random grooves) The rolling resistance difference is not really noticeabe if inflated to the rated pressure of 65psi, it's the overall tyre weight that might slow down your accellaration but even that doesn't matter oce the wheels are up to speed. The best bit about the fatter slicks is that your bikes proportions still look right and you can hammer down flights of steps without worrying about damage to the wheel rims :laugh:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Hutchinson top slick 2s were like road tyres, very very light, and worked well with any rim. Not great puncture protection, but they really didn't bother me. They were very fast, enough to hiss off just about every road bike rider.

Michelin do a Wild R tyre that I will get for my son for crit training. Loads cheaper than a road bike. For now.....

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I looked around, a couple of years ago, and decided to go for Schwalbe Land-Cruisers. They have a flat tread in the centre and allow good rolling resistance on the road and enough Knobbly bits to give good grip off road. Also they offer good fairy proof resistance :whistle:. Plus a very good price.

sittingbull

Veteran
I went from 1.95 knobblies to Schwalbe 1.95 City Jets. The City Jets were heavier than the knobblies and appeared to knock my average speed down (I did recalibrate the Cateye for the new circumference). The front tyre lasted 3 months before the side wall blew out on the seam (inflated to 60 PSI and within recommended range) :sad:

I bought a pair of 1.6 Continental Sport Contacts and even having only fitted the front the difference is amazing. Much quicker and handles better. Looks like a softer compound so I'll get a few more miles out of the rear City Jet before fitting the new Sport Contact there too ^_^

I considered going narrower but 1.6 looks quite odd enough and I regularly bounce over cobbles.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
.... and decided to go for Schwalbe Land-Cruisers.....

I had some of those on my MTB when I realised I was doing more road miles. The flat centre is good for tarmac, the nobly bits on the side work well for moderate off roading with reduced presure.

OP
OP
outlash

outlash

also available in orange
Cheers guys, I haven't got round to measuring the rim width yet (the olympics are a real time stealer!) but I'll get it sorted. Thanks :smile:.

Tony.

OP
OP
outlash

outlash

also available in orange
Just a quick update, the inside of the rim measured 20mm and I plumped for a pair of 1.5 Schwalbe speed cruisers and the difference is amazing! It actually feels like it wants to 'go' rather being dragged along :smile:. It'll do while I research my intended road bike purchase :smile:.

Tony.

I went for some Continental Sport Contacts which ive been very pleased with .. seem to have good protection - very fast and very quiet

100_0791.jpg

Top Bottom