Stupid question...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lanternerouge

Veteran
Looking at the maps in this month's MBR magazine, I fancy going up to the peaks and trying the Ladybower route - quite near me. My question is would i be able to manage it on my scott sportster hybrid or would i need to hire a proper MTB? The only MTBs for hire (full suspension) I have found round there to hire for a full day are demo bikes from "18 bikes" in hope costing £40 per day - can anyone help me?

Cheers

Lanterne

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Make sure your brakes are tweaked and you've got fat tyres on- otherwise you'll more than likely loose your teeth.

Enjoy!

Jonathan M

I'm sure that Nick Craig has been reputed to use his cross bike around the Peaks instead of an MTB at times, but a lot will depend on your riding skill & ability to pick out a smooth line as much as the bike itself.

lukesdad

Jonathan M said:
I'm sure that Nick Craig has been reputed to use his cross bike around the Peaks instead of an MTB at times, but a lot will depend on your riding skill & ability to pick out a smooth line as much as the bike itself.

Nick Craig is probably not the best example to use !:evil:

RedBike

I have ridden a cyclo-x bike around Ladybower before now. So long as you're prepared to descend as slow as needed to stay within your ability (I crawled at walking pace down most) then you'll be fine.

1.9 tyres will be perfectly fine. My MTB only has 1.8's on!

Cubist

Still wavin'
Haven't read up on the Ladybower route, but if you turn off up the valley to Derwent Valley visitor centre just before you get to Ladybower itself, there's a bike hire shop that hires hardtails.

Your hybrid would cope with all the rides around Derwent Reservoir (about 12 miles on tarmac and hardpack) or you could lengthen that and include all of Derwent Res and ladybower for getting on for double that

RedBike

Cubist said:
Haven't read up on the Ladybower route, but if you turn off up the valley to Derwent Valley visitor centre just before you get to Ladybower itself, there's a bike hire shop that hires hardtails.

Your hybrid would cope with all the rides around Derwent Reservoir (about 12 miles on tarmac and hardpack) or you could lengthen that and include all of Derwent Res and ladybower for getting on for double that

Good point. It does all depends upon which trails the OP is doing.
The bike shop at the VC will only hire bikes for use on the family trails around the reservoir.

These family trails are perfectly passible (with care) on a road bike so your hybrid will be fine.

The classic ladybower MTB route is rough. There's some knarly descents and deep muddy puddles.

martinwf5

I Would like to hear how you get on as i was thinking of a camping/cycling trip to Hope , we went there last sunday (car) and there was'nt one minute you didnt see a bike !

OP
OP
lanternerouge

lanternerouge

Veteran
Had a lot of fun today and the bike survived! I only did ten miles or so as I was pushed for time/knackered (I'll leave you to work out which influenced me more!). I got off and walked the bike down the stuff that was far too rocky but other than that it coped well enough.... still would love to have a proper MTB for this stuff, anyone recommend a good entry level bike?

Today's little ride is here http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=331988

OP
OP
lanternerouge

lanternerouge

Veteran
Oh yeah, there is lots of doubling back on that map - I kept missing turns etc! I like an adventure me... needless to say I didn't do the Ladybower route today, but had a whizz around using the Wild Boar map I've got.

Cubist

Still wavin'
lanternerouge said:
Had a lot of fun today and the bike survived! I only did ten miles or so as I was pushed for time/knackered (I'll leave you to work out which influenced me more!). I got off and walked the bike down the stuff that was far too rocky but other than that it coped well enough.... still would love to have a proper MTB for this stuff, anyone recommend a good entry level bike?

Today's little ride is here http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=331988

What's your budget?

Top Bottom