Stupid stupid stupid man

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
ok I've done a few silly things like bend forks, snap bolts etc when stripping a bike but I think I may have done the ultimate stupid thing.

A little impressed I did it but so stupid.

I've only managed to get a crank off the bottom bracket without first removing the holding bolt. In my defence it's dark, my mind was thinking of the food in the oven, work tomorrow and trying to strip the bike before the landlord realised I've bought another bike.

Just goes to show if it's difficult undoing/removing something, check the reason why and not just use more force to get the job done.

Yours truly

Mr Stupid.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
ok I've done a few silly things like bend forks, snap bolts etc when stripping a bike but I think I may have done the ultimate stupid thing.

A little impressed I did it but so stupid.

I've only managed to get a crank off the bottom bracket without first removing the holding bolt. In my defence it's dark, my mind was thinking of the food in the oven, work tomorrow and trying to strip the bike before the landlord realised I've bought another bike.

Just goes to show if it's difficult undoing/removing something, check the reason why and not just use more force to get the job done.

Yours truly

Mr Stupid.
Had someone left the washer off or do you own a 'killer' of a puller kit. :eek:

Take a deep breath, give the red wine another 24 hours or so to clear and then re-announce the feat. In the meantime, I'm having a large glass of something to get over the very thought of what you've managed to do - or think you've done. Time will tell.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Trying to follow what you've done, though does sound like you've the strenght of Geoff Capes !

If you didn't strip the thread did you just snap the bolt. I'm more familiar with square tapers but assume there's still a bolt similarly placed on the new fangled ones.

I did something similar on and engine water pump pulley. Ended up munging up the end of the crankshaft

Profpointy

Legendary Member
It was an old ISO square bottom bracket. The bolt didn't snap, I managed to extract the crank over the bolt. Once the crank was removed I took the bolt out. I'll post some piccies soon.

Good effort ! I'll not get into a high stakes wager with you on arm-wrestling

OP
OP
Tony Raynor

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
image.jpeg
And here is a comparison of a square taper and the new improved hexish shaped one I have.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    130.6 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    99.5 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 28

oldroadman

Veteran
Hmmm...I'd be more concerned about how apparently soft the alloy was if it could be pulled over a bolt. Either that or be very careful with all that strength. Nothing wrong with square taper cranks/BB axle. Stronglight and campag used them for years. Somewhere in the shed there's still a very old 49D crankset with BB axle, stored carefully and as good as the day it was made some very many years ago. They don't make 'em like that any more. Fortunately!

Top Bottom