Stupidest mistake on a bike...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Arch said:
Is that like passing normal water?;)

Not if it's the first time you've gone that far.... :tongue:

The stupist thing I have done on a bike is cycling down a steep cobbled street in the pi$$ing rain after having one too many towards a signal junction. Que the lights changing and a Taxi coming out of the side street. I escaped pretty lucky but it could of been a lot worse.

Tetedelacourse

HLaB said:
The stupist thing I have done on a bike is cycling down a steep cobbled street in the pi$$ing rain after having one too many towards a signal junction. Que the lights changing and a Taxi coming out of the side street. I escaped pretty lucky but it could of been a lot worse.

I had a similar situation to that in Glasgow, going down the hill from Rotten Row to George St in the rain. Brakes did nothing and I had to purposely fling myself off onto the road.

medals

Hmmm, confession time methinks.

About 20 odd years ago I used to play snooker on a friday night. The club was about a mile from home, so I cycled it.
I had one of those old one piece cues in a heavy metal case. So it wasn't easy cycling with that thing in one hand, think jouster.

One evening I was cycling home and about half way home it started raining, so I stopped to put my hood up.
When I pushed off to start, I lost balance a bit, well this would have been no problem without a 4 foot piece of tubing in one hand, but as I started to pedal the case got caught up in my front spokes sending me flying into a parked car, knocking off it's wing mirror. In a panic I tried to get away fast and I did exactly the same thing, hitting the next parked car, denting the front wing this time. This was turning into a bad dream 'cos the bl**dy cue got caught up in the front wheel a third time, this time however, I didn't hit anything, I just couldn't get away!

Well, I did get away with it, but my conscience tore at me for days. Well hours. I couldn't confess to the owners 'cos I was young and skint anyway.

So all I can do is ask forgiveness from the 'Cafe' confession box.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
medals said:

About 20 odd years ago I used to play snooker on a friday night. The club was about a mile from home, so I cycled it.
I had one of those old one piece cues in a heavy metal case. So it wasn't easy cycling with that thing in one hand, think jouster.

One evening I was cycling home and about half way home it started raining, so I stopped to put my hood up.
When I pushed off to start, I lost balance a bit, well this would have been no problem without a 4 foot piece of tubing in one hand, but as I started to pedal the case got caught up in my front spokes sending me flying into a parked car, knocking off it's wing mirror. In a panic I tried to get away fast and I did exactly the same thing, hitting the next parked car, denting the front wing this time. This was turning into a bad dream 'cos the bl**dy cue got caught up in the front wheel a third time, this time however, I didn't hit anything, I just couldn't get away!

Well, I did get away with it, but my conscience tore at me for days. Well hours. I couldn't confess to the owners 'cos I was young and skint anyway.

No forgiveness necessary - but you'll come back as a slug in the next life:evil:

Hmm, probably the stupidest mistake happened not all that long ago.

I was coming home from a training ride, and was enjoying sything through rush hour traffic. I spied a very attractive young lady cycling in the inside lane, and watching her lycra clad behind instead of where I was going I didn't notice the van infront stop rolling. I bumped into it at all of 5mph, cracked the boys on the top tube and crumpled into an undignified heap on the tarmac as she rode blissfully on.

Tetedelacourse

medals said:

That takes a lot of balls. I'm surprised you didn't get ar"rest"ed. Was no-one else in the frame?

Pete

Another one. Not greasing a seat post, and leaving it in the same position in the frame for ten years. Post breaks.
Bye bye frame. ;)

And another. Removing a taper crank. Remove bolt. Screw extractor into crank by hand. Tighten outer nut gently, ensure it's fully screwed in. Hand tighten inner nut. Socket onto outer nut, tighten hard, "f*** me this is a tough one to shift"; "uh-oh!". Spot the error. xx(

Pete said:
Another one. Not greasing a seat post, and leaving it in the same position in the frame for ten years. Post breaks.
Bye bye frame. xx(

And another. Removing a taper crank. Remove bolt. Screw extractor into crank by hand. Tighten outer nut gently, ensure it's fully screwed in. Hand tighten inner nut. Socket onto outer nut, tighten hard, "f*** me this is a tough one to shift"; "uh-oh!". Spot the error. :tongue:

Been there done that and have several T shirts! Other peoples bikes usually ;)

My friends brother used to ride out with the Hereford Wheelers. One Sunday morning as he was freewheeling down Belmont hill into town to the set off point a notion popped up in his teenage mind; wouldn't it be a neat trick to ride along having swappped ones hands over on the bars. He crossed his arms, held onto the left side of the bars with his right hand and vise versa and promptly fell in a heap knocking himself up quite badly and ripping his bar tape. When he arrived in High Town with blood pouring down his face he told the assembled club members what had happened to much hilarity. So they all set off with our embarrassed hero near the front of the group and were riding along Broad Street when he noticed that his bar tape was unravelling (in the days when 'Bike Ribbon' wasnt equipped with stickybackedness). His second mistake of the day was to tug the trailing bar tape really hard in an effort to remove it. His front wheel went sideways and he went down hard, taking half of the group down with him. He didnt go out with the Wheelers ever again.

Top Bottom