Sturmey Archer 3 speed reverts to 3rd gear...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Like I posted my 3 speed dates from 1986 and that still has a fill port with cap, knowing Raleigh/Sturmey Archer it is possible they made a cheaper version as they did with Brooks Saddles (another Raleigh owned company) I know this cos I was given a B5n*........Nowadays they are a very rare saddle as most broke but then they date from the mid 60's.

* supposedly made from inferior Leather after they'd cut the 'good stuff' out to make the quality saddles although size wise it's my 2nd or 3rd favourite after my B17n (narrow) and possibly my Swallow limited edition titanium.

I have a SA 3 speed AW in my now oily hand and it has the number 91-1. There is no oil port as there used to be and oil can only be introduced through the axle. It is going on sale if I ever get round to advertising it.There is another one on a somewhat derelict Dawes Kingpin but it is up in my shed and not currently accessible. I have had a couple of B17s but never got on with them. The last one is still kind of ok but so worn that the stamped designation is almost invisible.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I have a SA 3 speed AW in my now oily hand and it has the number 91-1. There is no oil port as there used to be and oil can only be introduced through the axle. It is going on sale if I ever get round to advertising it.There is another one on a somewhat derelict Dawes Kingpin but it is up in my shed and not currently accessible. I have had a couple of B17s but never got on with them. The last one is still kind of ok but so worn that the stamped designation is almost invisible.

Not keen on the B17 myself, too wide for me and starts 'chafing a bit' on over 50 mile rides, like I say the narrow version fits me far better but I've got narrow hips. My B17 got relegated to the commuter bike and I have a B66 which is the rear sprung version (same top though) on the Trike.

Anywhoo back to the SA hub, was one made in 91 produced in England or had production shifted to the far east by then.

Furthermore the OP has trouble with the shift lever not 'catching' so it just springs back to the 3rd gear position unless held in place.

Top Bottom