Sturmey Archer 5 speed adjustment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonesy

Guru
A repetition of a query I've posted in Special Interest about my Brompton, as hopefully experience of SA 5 speeds isn't confined to folders...

I've got a SA Sprinter 5 speed, the type with a blue ring on the indicator rod, probably pre-SunRace, which I'm finding very difficult to adjust correctly. Any tips?

buddha

Veteran
I take it you've tried the standard:

1) Make sure the indicator chain is screwed in to the axle as far as it will go (and slacken off a quater turn or so, so the chain can sit properly on the roller/guide)
2) Switch to 2nd
3) Adjust until the blue ring is level with the end of the axle
4) Turn the cranks a few times.
5) Switch to 5th
6) Turn the cranks a few times
7) Switch back to 2nd
8) Turn the cranks again
9) check the blue ring is still aligned with the end of the axle and if not adjust.

A couple of things I've experienced:
1) While in 5th there shouldn't be any/much slack in the cable or you'll have trouble shifting
2) Is the indicator chain clean and greased?
3) As per brake/gear cables, check for rust or dirt.

Hope this helps!

OP
OP
jonesy

jonesy

Guru
THanks, yes: basically what I've done so far is from your step 2. to 9. I didn't do anything with the chain as it already appears to be correctly lined up in the brompton pulley wheel thingy. Components look OK, gave them a bit more lube. I checked again after a days use and the blue line still seemed to be in the right place; but still occasional dodgy shifts. I much prefer the 3 speed Brompton!

style over speed

riding a f**king bike
Help! any experts with these hubs... I've got one of these, not needed any adjustment for 18 months, but the connector came loose the other day and I can't get it back properly:

http://www.sturmey-archer.com/pdfs/Summit_XRD5_Brake_Hub_LTE_161.pdf

when the changer is in position 2, the blue ring won't get level with the end of the axle... it just comes off the connector if I try and get it adjusted according to the instructions. The cable adjuster has no more travel either.

Top Bottom