Sturmey Archer 5 speed adjustment

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by jonesy, 22 Jun 2008.

1. jonesy

jonesy Legendary Member

A repetition of a query I've posted in Special Interest about my Brompton, as hopefully experience of SA 5 speeds isn't confined to folders...

I've got a SA Sprinter 5 speed, the type with a blue ring on the indicator rod, probably pre-SunRace, which I'm finding very difficult to adjust correctly. Any tips?

2. buddha

buddha Veteran

I take it you've tried the standard:

1) Make sure the indicator chain is screwed in to the axle as far as it will go (and slacken off a quater turn or so, so the chain can sit properly on the roller/guide)
    2) Switch to 2nd
    3) Adjust until the blue ring is level with the end of the axle
    4) Turn the cranks a few times.
    5) Switch to 5th
    6) Turn the cranks a few times
    7) Switch back to 2nd
    8) Turn the cranks again
    9) check the blue ring is still aligned with the end of the axle and if not adjust.

A couple of things I've experienced:
    1) While in 5th there shouldn't be any/much slack in the cable or you'll have trouble shifting
    2) Is the indicator chain clean and greased?
    3) As per brake/gear cables, check for rust or dirt.

Hope this helps!

3. OP
    OP
    jonesy

jonesy Legendary Member

THanks, yes: basically what I've done so far is from your step 2. to 9. I didn't do anything with the chain as it already appears to be correctly lined up in the brompton pulley wheel thingy. Components look OK, gave them a bit more lube. I checked again after a days use and the blue line still seemed to be in the right place; but still occasional dodgy shifts. I much prefer the 3 speed Brompton!

4. style over speed

style over speed riding a f**king bike

Help! any experts with these hubs... I've got one of these, not needed any adjustment for 18 months, but the connector came loose the other day and I can't get it back properly:

http://www.sturmey-archer.com/pdfs/Summit_XRD5_Brake_Hub_LTE_161.pdf

when the changer is in position 2, the blue ring won't get level with the end of the axle... it just comes off the connector if I try and get it adjusted according to the instructions. The cable adjuster has no more travel either.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice