Sturmey Archer AW axle thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Does anybody know what the thread size is on a Sturmey Archer AW hub axle?
I'm after a nut for the left side (not the castellated one) and I can't be bothered waiting for one off ebay.
Is it a metric thread?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris S

Chris S

Legendary Member
It's OK - I've done some Googling. They're 13/32 and 26tpi, that's as near to an M10 nut as makes no difference.

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=62873.0

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm after a nut for the left side (not the castellated one) and I can't be bothered waiting for one off ebay.
13/32" 26tpi sounds right, but I wouldn't risk the wrong nut unless I felt like possibly replacing the axle. Surely there's an LBS somewhere in Birmingham with one? I reckon one of two best in King's Lynn would have one! It's part number HMN128.

Failing that, http://www.starcyclespares.co.uk/ usually deliver rarer spares within a day or two.

OP
OP
Chris S

Chris S

Legendary Member
It's just for a pub bike - I reckon 0.2mm difference between the threads won't make much difference unless both the nut and the axle are at the tolerance limits. Thanks for the advice though.

ChrisEyles

Guru
I've tried a closest-fit metric nut on an AW axle, and the nut did indeed strip. It's a bit annoying to have to order the special SA ones online, but unfortunately I think it's the only real way forward! On the plus side the axles are pretty tough so the threads *should* survive OK.

OP
OP
Chris S

Chris S

Legendary Member
I forgot to update this thread - an M10 nut was just slightly too small to go on a Sturmey Archer axle. Fortunately I found a spare right-hand one so I just used that.

Last edited:

KoffMixtures

Found this to be useful.
I intend fitting a trailer to my Raleigh 'Twenty'.
To do this I intend welding a 10mm allen bolt to the nut to effectively extend the hub spindle. to which I can attach a trailer hitch.

Top Bottom