Sturmey Archer conversion

Discussion in 'Fixed Gear and Single Speed' started by Alex11, 8 Aug 2012.

1. Alex11

Alex11 Active Member

Is it possible to convert sturmey archer to singlespeed?

2. Huh? To convert a bike currently equipped with a Sturmey archer I presume? Otherwise just leave it in one gear shurley?

3. OP
    OP
    Alex11

Alex11 Active Member

Yes it currently has Sturmey Archer gears on it, can I convert it to singlespeed?

4. tyred

tyred Legendary Member

You just need a different wheel, or at least to rebuild your existing wheel with a threaded hub.

If you're talking fixed gear, it's fine as it's a completely different riding experience, but I see little point in removing a Sturmey to go single speed freewheel (unless the hub's fubar which is unlikely). A Sturmey with the correct gearing offers all the maintenance advantages of a single speed freewheel with the added advantage of a climbing ratio and an overdrive. The only disadvantage I can think of is a little extra weight.

5. Yes then. They essential thing is to get a wheel with a hub which matches the width of the existing hub - modern bikes with multi-sprockets have wider hubs and correspondingly wider spacing between the drop-outs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice