Sturmey Archer dynohub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
What would I be letting myself in for if I were to attempt to replace the wheel bearings on one of these?

I've started restoring my Rudge at long last but the back wheel bearings are a little gritty and it doesn't turn as freely as it should. The hub changes gear cleanly and makes the right ticking noises.

I filled it with WD40 to try and clean it before putting in normal oil.

Also it's the old type with the threaded sprocket. How can you hold it to unscrew the sprocket. I was hoping to lower the gearing to something more sensible for a 40lb bike.

Have a look at this

Number14

Guru
You need to be careful with the magnets. If you don't use a keeper, you can affect the magnetism in the dynahub.

There's a guy in Milton Keynes who services them and provides an excellent service.

OP
OP
tyred

tyred

Legendary Member
I had kept putting this off while I concentrated on other things this was quite simple in the end. Nothing wrong with the geared part of the hub and all the bearings looked like brand new after they were cleaned. The noise was actually due to rust between the armature and magnet. I didn't seperate them as I didn't have anything I would be happy to use as a keeper but patience and rolled up pieces of sandpaper in the gaps and keep turning have cleaned it up and now it runs freely. I took the splined driver out of another AW hub I had so it will allow me to easily change sprockets. It's assembled and running freely and all three gears appear to be available. I'll need to build the bike again to be certain that it's working.

I've filed the threaded driver away for future use as it will take a five speed freewheel and I fancy having a go at building a "hybrid" gear system at some point.

The only question I concerns the dynohub part. Does anyone know how strong the magnet is supposed to be? It didn't seem to be as strong as I expected it to be. Maybe someone spiked it on a previous hub service.

Top Bottom