Sturmey Archer help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozboz

Guru
Hiya , Today I saw a Sturmey Archer 3 speed fitted with two sprockets , giving 6 speeds , has any one got any knowledge of these ? I did see one on another site but I'd say it was some form of conversation with an old looking shimano rear deraileur ,
It had 40 spoke holes ,
Would be a nice unit for my '28 frame , not that it would be original but would not look out of place , and help the old pins get over the hills !!

gasinayr

Über Member
Why not fit a double or triple chainset with a rear changer fitted with the adjusting screws locked together

rhm

I have this setup on my old Fothergill. The frame was built either just before, or just after, WW2 (or I suppose during the war; what do I know). I have built it up with a 1939 AW hub and two cogs; if I recall correctly they are 19 and 22 teeth respectively. I shift them with a Trivelox derailleur. It's an excellent system, and I ride the bike quite a bit set up this way.

2015-01-11%2B15.29.16.jpg

With the larger cog, the three speeds are 40, 54, 72 inches; with the smaller, 47, 63, 84. So with a bit of double shifting, I have six evenly spaced gears. I don't know if this kind of setup was ever common, but Cyclo made a couple different 2-speed derailleurs designed for this kind of system, from the 30's to the early 60's.
They also made 2- and 3- cog units that replace the Sturmey Archer cog. The 3-cog block is the only way to get three cogs on there, but two cogs back-to-back (that is, dished away from one another) is a better system than the 2-cog block. It is lighter, and it is much more flexible. The Cyclo 2-cog block has 16 and 19 tooth cogs, which are too small by modern standards.

Top Bottom