My 50's Raleigh Roadster

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
This is the second Raleigh to arrive this week, I have wanted a 50's or 60's roadster for a while but wanted one that was fairly practical and useable.

Not done anything other than unpack yet .

But it has a 4 speed hub and a 2 speed block so eight gears , original steel rims have been replaced by alloy ones .

WP_20160301_004.jpg

stevevw

Guru
I like that.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
just had 5 mins looking at tyre sizes which are 26 x 1 1/4 or 32 x 597 so off shopping in a mo for a pr of tyres

frame number stamped on top of seat tube is 16951 T

Last edited:
OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Just had first ride around the cul de sac on this, and it felt good not sure if all of the 8 gears worked.

The brakes surprised me for sure , tempted to try a set of later flat bars and a longer stem but will see, but turning the saddle around on the post might help re positioning .

Just need to work out why the rear mechanism is not pulling the chain tighter .

WP_20160305_002.jpg

WP_20160305_004.jpg

WP_20160305_003.jpg

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Just had first ride around the cul de sac on this, and it felt good not sure if all of the 8 gears worked.

The brakes surprised me for sure , tempted to try a set of later flat bars and a longer stem but will see, but turning the saddle around on the post might help re positioning .

Just need to work out why the rear mechanism is not pulling the chain tighter .

View attachment 120843

View attachment 120844

View attachment 120845
I'd check the hub, if the cones are too tight it affects the freewheel (they like to be quite loose) and get some oil in the hub, the tension could be a weak spring I think it may have 2 alternate positions for it.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Are those lenton lugs?

i am not sure what model it is at all , the owner of my lbs has a similar spec and age one so i need to go and pay him a visit

I'd check the hub, if the cones are too tight it affects the freewheel (they like to be quite loose) and get some oil in the hub, the tension could be a weak spring I think it may have 2 alternate positions for it.

i need to spend some time looking at it but time is not on my side at mo poor excuse i know

shadaboot27

Are those lenton lugs?

I think they are yea.

shadaboot27

@shadaboot27 must admit just looking at the pictures you put up of a green one they do look the same , and yours looked to have a similar frame number ie 5 digits and a T

I would say it's 100% a Lenton. Probably about mid 50's. The only other Raleigh s that has similar lugs was the Clubman, but the Clubmans had braised on mudguard mounts mid way up the forks and dropouts, but yours does not have this so it's got to be a Lenton.

Top Bottom