My 50's Raleigh Roadster

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I can call back and enquire if I get time

I'll need to check model not sure if it had the lenton lugs so may not be what you are looking for
ok let me know

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Just fitted a new toggle chain and drive side wheel nut to the old girl as been having a few gear selection issues along with the original but seemed to be self loosing it's self

IMG_20180912_201528761.jpg

So hopefully it should be sorted now.

carpenter

Über Member
Well it took a couple of hundred yards to bring a smile to my face this morning .

There is something about cruising nice and relaxed , with a ticking noise

Hi Biggs - interesting that you mention a ticking noise, is that normal with SA? The reason I ask is that my wife has a SA on her Raleigh that ticks and I was worried that something might be wrong with it.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Hi Biggs - interesting that you mention a ticking noise, is that normal with SA? The reason I ask is that my wife has a SA on her Raleigh that ticks and I was worried that something might be wrong with it.

Yes it seems to be fairly normal for Sturmey Archer internal hubs to make a nice gentle ticking noise as they go along

raleighnut

Legendary Member
They don't tick in 1st, the sound in 2nd and 3rd is caused by internal 'freewheels' that allow them to all turn on the same shaft.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......

That's a great video. I've always wondered how an SA works, although, even though I've watched it twice, I'm not sure I've totally grasped it. The acid test will be taking one apart and I just happen to have one lying around. Am I feeling lucky, punk?!

Chris S

Legendary Member
Well they fit just need to decide whether to keep the Sturmer archer set up or go single speed / fixed gear .
Keep the Sturmey Archer hub if you want to go uphill. I spend most of my time in my 72" top gear. I've also got a 41" bottom gear that gets me up long steep hills that would be impossible on a single speed.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Due to it being almost impossible to get the correct 26 X 597 tyre's for these rims I dug it out of the garage to try and see if a set of 27" wheels will fit .

View attachment 602859

Well they fit just need to decide whether to keep the Sturmer archer set up or go single speed / fixed gear .
I had my wheels converted to 700c*, it's in between 26" and 27", for better tyre choice

* When I say converted I had the new rims laced to the original SA rear 3 speed and a rim laced to a dynohub I had in my shed

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
597mm regularly crop-up on ebay. There's currently a set available for £33.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232936090457
The last time sjs had them they were less than £8 ea !

The ones in the link don't get great reviews. But then for the limited use the bike gets they might be ok .

Keep the Sturmey Archer hub if you want to go uphill. I spend most of my time in my 72" top gear. I've also got a 41" bottom gear that gets me up long steep hills that would be impossible on a single speed.

I more than likely will keep the sturmey as the bike doesn't get much use plus I was trying to loose the dynamo front hub and I have a surplus of 27" wheels but all are the wider hub and I don't really want 70 year old forks getting too much stress .

I had my wheels converted to 700c*, it's in between 26" and 27", for better tyre choice

View attachment 602902

* When I say converted I had the new rims laced to the original SA rear 3 speed and a rim laced to a dynohub I had in my shed

No suitable wheels or rims for the front and as previously mentioned a surplus of 27" wheels

Top Bottom