Sturmey archer refurb.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Can anyone recommend a bike shopor mechanic that can refurb a SA 3 speed hub.
The last shop around my way that did was Bittacy cycles in Mill Hill. The owner was Raleigh trained, but retired some years back.
My LBS doesn't do them.
Any recomendations for London or the south east.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
@rogerzilla is the person to ask.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
What model is it, is it greased or oiled, and what is wrong with it, if anything?

The oiled ones don't need opening up and servicing unless something is wrong, e.g. skipping in high gear. The greased ones need regular servicing because the grease holds the wear particles inside the hub.

OP
OP
Paulus

Paulus

What model is it, is it greased or oiled, and what is wrong with it, if anything?

The oiled ones don't need opening up and servicing unless something is wrong, e.g. skipping in high gear. The greased ones need regular servicing because the grease holds the wear particles inside the hub.
Thanks.
It was more of a general question really.
A friend of mine is passing on an elderly Raleigh with a AW hub. He says it misses gears occasionally.
If I can't adjust it properly and get it working I wanted to know where to send it, as the last place locally shut some years back.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
If it's pre-1980 it will probably be oil-lubricated and non-NIG (which is good).

Just oil it with something that won't go gummy; SAE 30 mower engine oil or just any motor oil will do. Check cable adjustment: the end of the solid rod of the indicator* needs to be level with the RH end of the axle in middle gear. Change or clean the cable if necessary.

The only usual internal fault is slipping in high gear under high torque. If this is the case, it will need opening up to replace the clutch and planet pins. In really bad cases, a new planet cage is also needed. All parts are easy to get.

*caveat: this assumes it has the correct indicator. If someone fits (e.g.) the indicator for a 6 1/4" axle into a hub with a 5 3/4" axle, you have to adjust by feel instead.

OP
OP
Paulus

Paulus

If it's pre-1980 it will probably be oil-lubricated and non-NIG (which is good).

Just oil it with something that won't go gummy; SAE 30 mower engine oil or just any motor oil will do. Check cable adjustment: the end of the solid rod of the indicator* needs to be level with the RH end of the axle in middle gear. Change or clean the cable if necessary.

The only usual internal fault is slipping in high gear under high torque. If this is the case, it will need opening up to replace the clutch and planet pins. In really bad cases, a new planet cage is also needed. All parts are easy to get.

*caveat: this assumes it has the correct indicator. If someone fits (e.g.) the indicator for a 6 1/4" axle into a hub with a 5 3/4" axle, you have to adjust by feel instead.

Thanks for the information.
The hub dates from 1966.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
66 will be fine. It's the stuff made in the last 30 years that is a pain - grease that requires a total stripdown to renew, and a NIG pawl actuator that rattles and gets bent.

Top Bottom