Sturmey Archer shifting query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have a quick question that I hope the answer too will save me a lot of messing around. The wife is complaining that she is having problems with shifting with her 3 speed sturmey archer hub. She can get 1st and 3rd gear (a bit of effort to get it into 1st). However, it will not hold 2nd gear. You can get it in second, but the shifter lever will then move into either 1st or 3rd. My suspicion is the shifter rather than the hub, but what do you guys think?

tyred

Legendary Member
Disconnect and check that the cable moves freely and then check the adjustment - look through the window in the nut and you should see the shoulders on the indicator rod lined up with the end of the axle when it's in 2nd (Assuming correct indicator rod! otherwise consult Sheldon Brown for explanation of how to adjust)

When the cable is disconnected, also hold the end of it tight in your hand with some tension and work the shifter to see if it locks in each gear while you keep tension on the cable.

OP
OP
Milkfloat

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Awesome - photo's - you are making this too easy for me.

Await my reply when I come back complaining of broken hub, cut hands and an angry wife ^_^

andyfraser

Über Member
Awesome - photo's - you are making this too easy for me.

Await my reply when I come back complaining of broken hub, cut hands and an angry wife ^_^
I remember messing with a hub once. It never worked again. I was only 10 or 11 though. It got stuck in top gear so I treated the bike as a single speed. :smile:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Look, just don't stomp on it or force it when it slips or jams (better to fix the adjustment) and it should keep ticking. Even I've not managed to break an SA 3-speed yet and I'm pretty bad. Where's that @raleighnut quote... aha...
The Sturmey Archer hub gear is a lump of pig iron a very solidly engineered piece of kit designed to last until hell freezes over a very long time.
:smile:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Mine stops ticking each time I top up the oil... I wonder if I should be worried :smile:

OP
OP
Milkfloat

Milkfloat

An Peanut
So things I have learnt today. I still hate sturmey archer (there I have said it, send me to the naughty corner). The axel nut does not have a viewing hole in it, so I tried the Sheldon method. I can get it to move though all 3 gears, but it just won't stay in second, it either jumps to first of third depending on my adjustments. However, when I take off the slack from the cable and use the cable to pull it out of second, the shifter won't move, so it seems to be doing its job. I am beginning to think, the wife if going to have a two speed bike from now on.

Feel free to tut tut, call me a heathen for not having a clue about hubs gears and send me back to my modern bikes in shame.

Top Bottom