Sturmey Archer single-sided drum brake hubs (X-SD)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Googling says that these hubs are mostly used on tadpole trikes and wheelchairs. Curious whether anyone here has a pair of them, and (especially if you have the ones with the quick release button) whether the stub axle is as depicted below

84r1l1.jpg

http://twitpic.com/84r1l1
(Context: the wheel pictured is from a "Chariot Cougar" jogging stroller which we have managed to acquire for reasonable money, but for inline skating use we would like to upgrade to the equivalent of their next model the CX which has drum brakes. Looking at the wheel and at the Sturmey Archer web site, it seems like it should be a compatible fitting)

The early Wind Cheetah had them, they were a first class pain in the bum, I had loads of problems with the cams in mine, ended up machining new cams myself, they needed cleaning out on a regular basis and filled up with water on extended runs in the rain which was not very good for their performance.

byegad

Legendary Member
My QNT has some, not sure what model number, and they work perfectly. 7000+ miles and no issues, wear or servicing required. I'd guess the ones on the QNT, a 2007 model, would fit from your picture.

Top Bottom