Sturmy archer rear rim help wanted please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BSAMase

Hello again all I have a standard size rear rim with a sturmy archer one speed pedal back style break in the hub. What I am wanting to know and do is I want the rear sprocket which is on the right hand side of the rim to be switched to run on the left hand side is this at all possible If it helps i dont need the hub break as I could hook up hand breaks if neccesary

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Hello again all I have a standard size rear rim with a sturmy archer one speed pedal back style break in the hub. What I am wanting to know and do is I want the rear sprocket which is on the right hand side of the rim to be switched to run on the left hand side is this at all possible If it helps i dont need the hub break as I could hook up hand breaks if neccesary
It won't work if it has a freewheel fitted as part of the braking mechanism.

OP
OP
BSAMase

BSAMase

It won't work if it has a freewheel fitted as part of the braking mechanism.

Ok I think it does free wheel unless the break lever is hooked up to the frame which activates break...any Ideas what an alternative option might be? Modern mountain bikes free wheel and you can turn them into fixed sprockets or fixies?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
LH drive is difficult without a fixed cog or a BMX hub designed for LH drive (they are common, some people grind on the RH side by nature). You can rebuild a Shimano singlespeed freewheel to work on the left but it will unscrew itself on a normal hub. Some Loctite 603 might hold it. You have to fit it using a freewheel remover. Real tinkerers could key it to the hub using a small rollpin or grub screw through the body.

The problem of pedals unscrewing themselves through precession is overcome with Loctite and isn't a big issue.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BSAMase

BSAMase

LH drive is difficult without a fixed cog or a BMX hub designed for LH drive (they are common, some people grind on the RH side by nature). You can rebuild a Shimano singlespeed freewheel to work on the left but it will unscrew itself on a normal hub. Some Loctite 603 might hold it. You have to fit it using a freewheel remover. Real tinkerers could key it to the hub using a small rollpin or grub screw through the body.

The problem of pedals unscrewing themselves through precession is overcome with Loctite and isn't a big issue.
I will hopefully get a chance to buy a freewheeling hub tomorrow to make it possible cheers be a good project to tinker with heres my other bsa
20181016_195237.jpg
20181016_195654.jpg

Top Bottom