Subarachnoid Haemorrhage (brain bleed/haemorrhage)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'm creating this thread as a medical "warning" for want of a better word. While advice and discussion is welcome this is not my motivation. On February 1st I suffered a subarachnoid haemorrage. It seems I will make a 100% recovery. I am epileptic and because of this my initial symptoms gave me to think I was about to suffer a Grand Mal. After taking the usual precautions for a Grand Mal I felt no better and called an ambulance.

My symptoms were a sudden onset of headache, a feeling of "distance" and shakiness. The headache was intense and was increasingly so over 20-30 minutes. By the time I was speaking with the ambulance despatcher I was literally screaming and crying with pain.

Within 20 minutes I was at our local NHS neurological centre where I fitted. I'm convinced my action of calling the ambulance at the least saved my life. The point of this message for others with similar experience is please do not wait to see if the headache improves - if the pain is so great you will know there is no point in waiting, simply call 999.

Last edited:
Thank you for your post. It provides really important insights. I wish you all the best for a speedy recovery. Do take care.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Glad you're OK Paul.
I was asked by the medical staff why I didn't call for an ambulance earlier than I had following my stroke.
I told them I didn't see the point of wasting valuable doctor/nurse time over a bad headache.
They gave me a telling off and made me promise not to take things so lightly in future.
Better to look an idiot worrying over nothing than arriving dead.

GWS. - sounds like a terrifying experience - well done for making the right call.

Perhaps less dramatic but a similar message. I had eye floaters suddenly appear - kept thinking it would go away - eventually got to GP, who sent me immediately to eye hospital. Thankfully I had no damage to my retina - but he urged me if it gets worse or see a black section over the eye - get to an eye hospital asap - even if if you are holiday - don't wait until you return home. The outpatient procedure can be done quickly and easily. Leave it a few day and there is a good chance you will loose the sight of your eye.
It was a real shock to find how easily you can loose the sight of your eye.

icowden

Veteran
Glad that you were treated quickly and recovered.
My dad was taken from us by a sub-arachnoid haemorrhage back in the 1980s when I were but a lad. Nasty things.
I think a lot still depends on severity and placement, but I also think that our medical treatment has progressed a lot in the last 30 years.
Don't rush your recovery!

Top Bottom