submercycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paul fellows

I saw a odd trike at stocktons SIRF over the weekend.
I was part of a show by a company called PIF-PAF.
1) the back end of a DF being ridden in a really high wheely
2) the cross bar is extended and bent down steep angel to form a front triangle with a tube coming of the underside of the bottom bracket.
3) the front wheels where on ether end of a beam that could rotate horizontally about its center. (think home made go kart. )
4) 2 seats mounted above the front wheels, with the trappings of the show, and the handle bars attached to that.

my questions are
1) dose this simple type of searing have a name?
2) why is it not commonly used on self build trikes?

/www.pif-paf.co.uk/project/flights-of-fancy/

stuee147

They look interesting I'm not sure what the steering is called but it looks similar to how I do the steering and front end of the trikes I have/am building but I use direct steering as I find it easier to build and it's less bits to go wrong

OP
OP
paul fellows

paul fellows

its just like the go karts we used to build as kids, out of old pram parts, 2 wheels on the an existing axle able to rotate a bit about its center.
I suspect that the reason that it is not used more might be tire where and tracking problems.

stuee147

I think your right about the tracking and wheel scrubbing I think they do it that way so the seating area between the wheels is a constant size where as center point steering the wheels would nudge into the seat space as you turn.
All in all I think it's done on them trikes for space and ease of build where as the centre point steering I and from my observations most home builders use is a lot harder to set up and get working but when it is set up right it's a lot nicer ride and better cornering especially at speeds but then I don't think the trikes at that show where really intended for any sort of speed or distance riding lol

Top Bottom