Suction bike racks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
I have a new car, and it has no towbar so I am selling my towbar rack in Classifieds.

This has left me with no way of carrying my bike, I don't want a whistly roof rack on all the time, and the rear spoiler means I can't really use a strappy one, the solution I have decided on is one of these..........

View: https://youtu.be/pBd9Mszsm04

Has anyone used one, or got one? Mine should be here on Wednesday, so no going back, but any real life experiences of their ease etc?

numbnuts

Legendary Member
:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
What's the maximum load weight that the fittings can support? I'd be a bit skeptical as car roof panels are relatively thin sheets of steel and toughened glass sunroofs aren't particularly solidly mounted.

[+ there aren't any loading points on the sheet metal roof itself [unlike the gutter channels]

{Edit: Just watched a review on YouTube... 20kg maximum weight, but not sure I'd be happy trusting the velcro rear wheel strap- probably use a couple of zip ties instead! Soon people complained that the suckers wouldn't stick down on the roof either because of dirt or grease... if the roof is clean enough where the suckers go it would probably be OK.

Last edited:
It appears to me that there is no secondary security for these, and I wouldn’t trust suction solely.
I would refer to have a towbar fitted… which I did on my Peugeot.
Best of luck though!

OP
OP
C

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Solve the problem by just getting rid of the car and cycle everywhere. 😁
Don't be daft, I don't actually ride my bike anywhere, it is more of a green fashion accessory, surely no-one actually rides a pushbike nowadays do they, unless they have been banned from driving or are 4 years old?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Prepare for nervous exhaustion at the end of every journey, no matter how many times you get out to check the bike's OK!

Last edited:

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
I have not seen any stories of accidents so you’ll be fine!
A good friend has them and drove to the South of France and back without a hitch!

There's a guy some where on YT that used to train surf on the DBB lines in Germany at over 200kmh:ohmy: they stick pretty well although i haven't seem him post for a while.....

Glass suction cups are unbelievably strong, few weeks back we shifted some glass panels that were 475kgs using only these, of course the quality of the cups can vary.

I'd probably be tempted to mount them on the car and leave them over night to make sure they hold vacuum, better to test "off-line" so to speak....

Make sure you offer them up to the glass square on and then pump them down, any decent ones i've hired stop creating additional vacuum after only a few pumps.

Top Bottom