Suffolk Spinners July 17th advice/help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stevec047

Über Member
So I have made a decision that by September this year I would of completed a 50k or 100k ride.

Just spotted Suffolk spinners sportive and having read about it, it seems to be perfect for me not to many climbs bearing in mind I have only been cycling since October and am a large chap who wants to get fit.

Anyone completed the standard route or in fact any of the routes? Do you think this would be a good starting point or are there other local options in and around essex suitable for a total newbie (yes I said it NEWBIE)?

Any advice would be greatly recieved and also if anyone is in the same situation and lives braintree area who would like to help me train as a riding buddy that would be great. Don't even mind popping the bike in the car and driving a bit to meet up for the occasional ride out?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Do you want to do a 50-100k sportive or could it be any ride? If ride, try to find a local Freewheelers group, which might be its own club or part of another. They should be well used to encouraging newbies and it'll probably be more of a group ride with way finders and tail enders but it won't have timing and feed stops and broom wagon so it depends what you want, really.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Also, isn't there a group from near you that rides to join the last part of the Dunwich dynamo? I don't remember the details and it's still no sportive so that might be far too far but it'd be something rather unique.

Did the 100 miler last year ok,little bit tougher than it looked but the shorter route(s) should be doable with a bit of training.

Here's my Strava upload from last year;

https://www.strava.com/activities/349583269

And here's my first sportive;

https://www.strava.com/activities/127539994

Just to say I was 54 last year and have been riding since late 2013 just to give you some idea of what can be done.

As mjray said see if you can find a club or group as this can help with both fitness and motivation and find some plans rather than just going out and riding at one tempo.

Joining my local club was the best thing I've done even though I thought I was going to die on my first club run:boxing::bicycle::sweat::laugh:.

Top Bottom