Sugar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doseone

Guru
I was in the supermarket today with my daughter who proudly said that after the gym today she'd had a healthy Innocent fruit smoothie and as they were on the shelf in front of us she showed me which one. I had a look at the nutritional info on the bottle. The ingredients were all natural but I was pretty surprised to see that the 250ml bottle contained the equivalent of 29 grams of sugar! We then went and compared this to full fat coke which was slightly less at 27g for 250ml.

Apart from the fact that both contain horrendous amounts of sugar, are the fruit sugars in the smoothie any better (maybe I should say less bad!) for you than the added sugar in the coke, or is sugar sugar no matter what form it comes in?

Juices are as bad for your (sugar wise) as coke.

Eat fruit.

keithmac

Guru
Fruit juice is quite bad for your teeth as well (very acidic), try to drink it though a straw if possible.

I drink pure orange juice now and again but dilute it in half with water.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I think they need to add sugar to increase shelf life, also to make it more palatable.
Homemade smoothies, made from real fruit, are not very sweet and go off within a couple of days.

A smoothie will contain the same fibre as the fruit... a juice won't.

IIRC it also has to do with the fact that in a smoothie the fibre strands are broken down through the blending process, rendering them ineffective in slowing sugar absorption. If memory serves, it was on the BBC documentary "The Truth About Sugar" - or one of the other similar ones of that ilk...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If you're trying to lose weight, smoothies are not a good idea.
I can confirm that!

I managed to get my weight down to sub-12 stone (fairly light for someone of my medium build and height 6' 1"). Thinking it would be really healthy, I started treating myself to a big smoothie every afternoon and was soon back up to 13+ stone, with no other change in my diet.

I was basically necking a banana, an apple, 3 or 4 strawberries, 6 or 7 grapes, 250 mL of natural yoghurt (and whatever else I felt like adding) every day. If I'd eaten the actual fruit I would probably just have made do with the apple.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
This is just such a food item that is marketed to be "healthy" but does contain the slow killer that is sugar. And as you have outlined, there's much more of it around than people might think. I gave up sugar in Tea and Coffee about 2 months ago (thus eliminating around 6 x 2.5 = 15 teaspoons of sugar per day). Since then, anything like fruit juice or other processed food and drink tastes immensely sweet.

299253314b1d957347730654284ee971.jpg

(makes tobacco ads look benign)

Attachments

• 299253314b1d957347730654284ee971.jpg
    299253314b1d957347730654284ee971.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 21

sarahale

Über Member
IIRC it also has to do with the fact that in a smoothie the fibre strands are broken down through the blending process, rendering them ineffective in slowing sugar absorption.

So what happens when you chew fruit, is this not the same?

Top Bottom