Sugar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
I think they need to add sugar to increase shelf life, also to make it more palatable.
Homemade smoothies, made from real fruit, are not very sweet and go off within a couple of days.

That's not correct. If they add anything it is usually antioxidants

Oxo

Guru
This thread reminds me of my Grandad. He was a collier and said that going to work every day was like going into a minefield.

I like savoy cabbage, but chard is another to add to my 'new veg to try' list.

Full price it's not particularly cheap - unless you can find it on the market. But I always snap it up when it's on yellow sticker as it's really good.

Rince, shred, put in a pan with a good-fitting lid. Add a couple or so tablespoons of water, a nice lump of butter, plenty of black pepper and a pinch of chinese 5 spice. Pop the lid on and cook on a medium heat until tender (you may need to add a tad more water during cooking time). Remove lid, turn up the heat & stir until any remaining moisture is just about gone. It's very tasty. I do cabbage, spring greens and leeks like this too.

dim

Won't!

We all get all the fruit we need, by....wait for it, wait for it....eating fruit.

yup .... but I'd hate to eat a raw carrot, a handful of raw spinach an orange, raw broccoli, a banana some grapes, apple, and 1/2 a glass of apple juice for breakfast.

Same goes for veg .... you can add things like raw beet, avo, raw brocolli, raw kale etc etc .... much more convenient that cooking all of the mentioned and takes a minute to prepare

The Nutribullet is not a juicer, it's a blender, so all the fibre is kept. (Which I have read is a good thing)

I substitute breakfast for a smoothie ....

I don't see how that can be bad as at least I am now getting some veg/fruit/vitamins?.

I cycle lots (daily) but eat wrong, so a nutribullet could come in handy for when I do longer Audax rides ...

I've seen recipes from guys who do triathlons, and they even add oats, a raw egg, or rice, organic coconut oil , coconut water, raw beetroot, yoghurt, maple syrup whey protein etc etc

I'm still new to all this, and lots to learn but so far, I rate the nutribullet highly (especially if you do lots of sport). A carton of 750ml of a good smoothie costs £3-£4 .... costs a lot less when you make it yourself with fresh ripe fruit/veg and no additives/preservatives

thats why I add fruit juice to 'sweeten it up' .... and some of them need to be gulped fast as they look and taste gross :becool:

You mean the old adage of "if it tastes vile, it has to be good for you"? :whistle:

I'll pass on that. I like my food to be enjoyable. :hungry: I find a visually appealing and well tasting plate of food downright sybaritic ^_^

tyred

Legendary Member
My dearest God,

First of all I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for working tirelessly for six days and creating this wonderful world in which we live.

However the purpose of my letter is to bring your attention one tiny design flaw that I see in your wonderful creation. I'd like to question why all the nice foods have little nutritional value and are damaging to my health yet the healthy, nutritional foods mostly taste like cardboard and give little or no joy in their consumption. I'm sure a Superbeing of your own great intelligence can see that is situation is not ideal and may I be so bold as to ask if you can remedy this as soon as possible. I would be most grateful and I'd welcome details of your intended plan of action by return post.

I'd also like to question why you created Bono with the belief that he could create music but that is perhaps a subject for another letter.

I hope that your mate The Holy Ghost and your boy Jesus are both doing well. Jesus must be really grown up by now.

Yours Sincerely,
Tyred.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
some of them need to be gulped fast as they look and taste gross
Then for God's sake why eat them? It is not the least bit difficult to eat healthily and economically while only eating things that give you pleasure. Why use electricity to convert things you find disgusting into a slurry? Why not just have an apple? Seriously, it just seems weird to me.

Talk of Jesus brings to mind the bit of Derek & Clive I bumped into recently in which Dudley Moore sympathises with him for having his birthday on Christmas Day. 'I bet he just got one lot of presents...'

Top Bottom