Suggest lights for being seen please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zippy

I am looking at the Cat Eye set: Front 5 LED 220 and rear 150. In addition I have a green/white LED for flashing up front and a 3 LED red flashing at rear. Would you think that is sufficient?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Nope. Even a fully functioning Christmas tree festooned with lights isn't sufficient. If they aren't looking they won't see you. But we all feel better if we make the effort I guess, I know I do, so go for it. Should do the job nicely; I use a pair of the front lamps shown here, set on flash.

ASC1951

Guru
. Would you think that is sufficient?
I would say that is enough lights, but lights alone are not enough.

I would also try some yellow reflective tape higher up, e.g. a helmet cover or at shoulder level. Best of all are reflective ankle bands - the up and down movement makes them far more visible than static lights, even flashing ones. A lot of drivers find it difficult to pick out bike lights in town traffic because it is just another red light, whereas yellow bands which oscillate really do stand out.
http://www.beseenona...-leg-bands.html
http://reviews.wiggl...ews/reviews.htm
- but widely available.

OP
OP
Z

Zippy

Thanks for the feedback; really appreciated as not all cheap end models are equal.

Even a fully functioning Christmas tree festooned with lights isn't sufficient.
No, but it does give me an idea for the Christmas period - battery operated tree lights. :tongue:

[QUOTE 1182873"]
This is my favourite 'be seen' set-

http://www.chainreac...x?ModelID=42474
[/quote]

Can't comment on the front one but I've got the rear one and when viewed from astern will weld your retina to the back of your skull. Short of a rear-facing hi-power torch with a red filter over the lens you can do a lot worse than this. I've also got a Topeak Redlite UFO which covers an approx 270-300 degree sweep so can be seen well from the side. I've also got hi-viz relfeecty-bits on my winter jacket, overshoes, bag and have 3M Sekuclips on my spokes which show up nicely from the side. Front I've got a vertically-mounted 5 LED flasher (can't rfemember the make) and a NiteFlux VisionStick Enduro 8, which I am thinking of changing/upgrading/augmenting 'cos I still can't see where the heck I'm going on dark nights. I like the look of the Fenix TK45 with a handlebar mount, as you get a torch and bikelight (easier to justify the cost to myself!)

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
overly bright rear lights at night just hack people off, other cyclists included, and destroys your 'followers' night vision which makes it even harder for them to see other cyclists. Flashing mode only please if I'm behind you.

I've been rear ended twice since '95 both times in broad daylight. If they ain't looking.....

HJ

Cycling in Scotland

overly bright rear lights at night just hack people off, other cyclists included, and destroys your 'followers' night vision which makes it even harder for them to see other cyclists.
Flashing mode only please if I'm behind you.

I've been rear ended twice since '95 both times in broad daylight. If they ain't looking.....

Your following too close... :evil:

I have a Smart BSpoke set (the Smart Lunar set looks almost identical) I've found I get less Smidsy's when I using it, they seems to be better tham my old Cateye lights but that might be a time factor (lights are improving all the time). I've also found that using 2 sets of lights has a 'what's that?' effect on some drivers, I'd almost swear the driver that approache a mini rab at the same time as me but from the other direction the other week reversed when he saw me. He got there a second before me and he had priority and I'd stopped to giveway but he stopped too and didn't move.

Top Bottom