Suggestion regarding h*lm*t debates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Seeing yet another thread hijacked by a pointless helmet debate, could I suggest a policy where this recurring argument is banned from any thread other than one where helmets are the actual topic?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Ben Lovejoy said:
Seeing yet another thread hijacked by a pointless helmet debate, could I suggest a policy where this recurring argument is banned from any thread other than one where helmets are the actual topic?

Agreed.

Shaun

Founder
Can I suggest that if a thread gets hijakced for this or any other topic, someone just reports one of the posts (red triangle on the left) and explains what has happened.

Me and the mods can then deal with it; either by separating the off-topic content into a new thread of it's own, or by removing the posts.

Cheers,
Shaun ;)

Shaun

Founder
TheDoctor said:
You can also flag a thread for faulty spelling.
Even if it's a difficult word, such as 'hijacked'...

*awaits short ban*

It's late, I'm treid ... that's my excuce and I'm slicking to it. ;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Ben Lovejoy said:

I can see the point, but how do you distinguish whether helmets are the topic? If someone asks what they need to budget for as well as a bike, and someone says "a helmet", is that on topic or not? Or if someone askes which helemt to get, and someone goes off on one about them, then it's sort of on topic, but not helpful..

Best to report as Admin says, and then let the Mods decide, rather than have an inflexible rule.

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Some cases might be ambiguous, but a thread on lighting ... or gearing ... or waterproof jackets or ...

It was just an idea aimed at prevention rather than cure.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Can we have helmet given the asterisk treatment like ****, **** and piss?

(2 out of 3 ain't bad...)

I suggest using a mod with a neutral viewpoint to oversee the thread.

MrP wears a cycling helmet, but isn't convinced they actually work, so I'd say he is well qualified for the task :laugh:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
If we do this for helmet wars, can we do the same for the endless threads that get hijacked by people defending off-road drivers, speeders and climate change deniers?

Pretty please?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Most of the helmet hijacks stay where they are. Most of the offroad, speeding and climate change denial hijacks do the same - and most of them involve the same person. Who, coincidentally, seems to be trying to hijack this thread. It's a very rare thread that gets into Room 101.

Top Bottom