Suggestions for a 50-80 mile ride in the Lauder / Scottish borders?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

themightyw

Hi folks.

I live in St Andrews and a mate of mine lives in Newcastle. We were trying to find some way of meeting up to do a ride together for the first time, and an equidistant point is Lauder in the Borders. We were hoping to meet up for a 50-80 mile ride, but neither of us have ever ridden around those parts... can any of you fine CC types suggest a good area in that part of the world to ride, or a route or two?

Huge thanks for any suggestions.

TMW

Globalti

Legendary Member
Buy a map. You'll be amazed at what it shows you.

amaferanga

Veteran
Lauder isn't really a great place to start cycling from. My suggestion would be to start from Selkirk - it shouldn't make a huge difference to either of your journey times, but the cycling from there is much nicer.

If you could stretch to 90 miles this is a really, really nice route. Some nice hills, but nothing too steep and on most of the roads you'll only see a handful of cars.

This is also a really, really nice route - the A708 does not feel like an A-road at all and the valley up past the Grey Mare's Tail is stunning. About 80 miles.

Or this if 58 miles is enough.

Btw I grew up in the Borders so I do know the area pretty well.

OP
OP
themightyw

themightyw

What a fantastic response. Thank you. I had been looking atthe routes shown on the toourist board website but it's always a great help to get first hand comments. Cheers.

Top Bottom