Suggestions for auto online posting of progress?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alexeix

Hi,

Doing LEJOG one month from today and I would like to post my progress along the route online automatically.

Are there any applications and/or devices which are straightforward and will do this?

I'm thinking GPS enabled smartphone applications or dedicated GPS devices (which I would hope to hire!).

I'm planning to buy a smartphone anyway, so at this point an iPhone or Android device is definitely an option.

Please let me know if you have any experience in this area.
Thanks!

amaferanga

Veteran
Instamapper runs on iPhone/Android/Blackberry, etc.

Battery life may be an issue if you have it set to update your position too often though.

OP
OP
A

alexeix

That application looks perfect! According to the instructions, you can set the transmit time frame and GPS goes to sleep in-between. Once every 10 minutes should be okay.

A friend has offered to lend me a solar charger, so I could attach that to my back pack (if it doesn't rain), and use it to charge my hand-set.

Now I just need to decide on a handset. I'm leaning towards the iPhone right now, so I hope that the new version comes out in time and is available.

Thanks.

amaferanga

Veteran
I have an Android phone (HTC Magic) and would definitely recommend one. The new Android phones such as the HTC Desire are much improved from my Magic, which is already very, very good. The app store for Android is great and most applications are free and the synching with your Google account is absolutely seemless - everything works flawlessly IME (unlike my girlfriends crappy Nokia - the preinstalled weather app doesn't even work).

PaulSB

Legendary Member
alexeix said:
Now I just need to decide on a handset. I'm leaning towards the iPhone right now, so I hope that the new version comes out in time and is available

There's an iPhone app called MotionX GPS which will track your route etc. allows you to upload waypoints, best as photos but you can just use the latitude and longitude, to Facebook so friends and family can see where you are. I plan to use this on my LEJOG and have found it relatively easy to use. The bit I really like is being able to take a photograph and upload this as the waypoint, it gives those following you a nice image of the ride and of course you can photograph anyhting that adds to the flavour of your journey. You can also e-mail the waypoints though I have never done this.

Be aware the battery life is significantly reduced using GPS on an iPhone. You will either need some form of charger which is charging while you ride - I guess solar or "dynamo" (I'm a little ancient!) - or one of the battery packs which extend iPhone life by 10-12 hours.

I don't want to start the usual iPhone / HTC debate but as a 50 something with zero interest in apps, clever bits etc who just wants calendar, phone, e-mail, Outlook integration and web the iPhone is superb. Though I agree there is a lot of ridiculous hype surrounding it and I've only found three worthwhile apps to date, the rest are for ten year olds!!!

Top Bottom