suggestions to fix Moon X-Power 600 front light?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My Moon X-Power front light, which I bought years and years ago, had survived some serious drops, it coming loose and cartwheeling down a hill while I was going ~30mph several times and being absolutely fine amazingly apart from some surface damage to the casing. But, I dropped it out of my bag onto a fairly soft floor while it was wrapped in some cloth, and it's ceased to work :sad: Turning it on, the blue light under the switch illuminates but no actual light. The bulb being broken springs to my mind as the reason it's not working. Any ideas on how to fix this? I emailed Moon who are based in Hong Kong now, when I bought the light I think they were based in Australia, but no response. Thanks.

Tenkaykev

Guru
My Moon X-Power front light, which I bought years and years ago, had survived some serious drops, it coming loose and cartwheeling down a hill while I was going ~30mph several times and being absolutely fine amazingly apart from some surface damage to the casing. But, I dropped it out of my bag onto a fairly soft floor while it was wrapped in some cloth, and it's ceased to work :sad: Turning it on, the blue light under the switch illuminates but no actual light. The bulb being broken springs to my mind as the reason it's not working. Any ideas on how to fix this? I emailed Moon who are based in Hong Kong now, when I bought the light I think they were based in Australia, but no response. Thanks.

I think it uses a solid state Cree LED so there’s no filament to break. If you can get it apart I’d check for dislodged connections.

OP
OP
B

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

"it uses a solid state Cree LED" -- that sounds right/familiar.
"so there’s no filament to break" -- I see, thanks.
"If you can get it apart I’d check for dislodged connections." -- OK, thanks, I've got it apart a bit, but not enough. OK, thanks.

Tenkaykev

Guru
"it uses a solid state Cree LED" -- that sounds right/familiar.
"so there’s no filament to break" -- I see, thanks.
"If you can get it apart I’d check for dislodged connections." -- OK, thanks, I've got it apart a bit, but not enough. OK, thanks.

If you can't get it apart and see anything that doesn't look right, then think about how much you originally paid for it, divide by the number of weeks / years that you've owned it, and bask in the glow of an excellent purchase!

A good mobile phone/tablet repair shop can probably get it apart as they have tools and an idea how casings are fastened. They can probably test for power across the LED to see if it's dead, if not then they can probably reflow any dodgy looking connections.

Top Bottom