Suitable Bar End Shifter for SRAM X7?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chugsy

Hi,

on a whim I decided to try out drop bars on my folder on the cheap - with some bars donated by a colleague and a pair of Tektro RL520s I was planning on sticking the existing grip shifter on the end of the drop temporarily until I knew I wanted to stick with it and stump up for something more suitable.  Surprise surprise, the shifter didn't fit.

Does anyone know if I can mate these to a 2007 SRAM X7 RD:    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=13649

I'd like to have indexed shifting in case I don't get on with friction (the alternative being these: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Dia-Compe_Bar_End_Gear_Shifter_Set/5360043252/  )

I guess these things can never be done on the cheap ;D

Thanks!

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Hi Chugsy, I got your PM but thought I'd reply in here in case others can expand, or indeed correct, my info. I've not used an SRAM derailler but the beauty of bar end shifters is that they can work indexed or on friction. I have the Dura Ace 9 speed indexed, but a simple turn of a part and they become friction, the front derailler is friction anyway. Worth chatting up a frinedly local LBS mechanic, these guys love a challenge and amazing what they can manage from the 'spares' box. but there are other ways of doing this, you'll find some pics and extra detail on my Flikr account, all used to be on here but got lost in the forum upgrade:-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37729119@N08/sets/72157623073074209/

I have my twist shifter mounted at the end of the drops, there is an official thing called a Hubbub adaptor to do this but it costs £40. I got an old flat bar from the bin at LBS and cut off a piece of the length needed to take the shifter, it had an internal diameter of about 19mm. Then I bought a 19mm to 19mm(3/4") connector for joining plastic hoses, got it from a Koi Carp supplies place online, less than £2. Belted one end of that into the bit of straight bar with a club hammer, it peeled some plastic so is never coming out. The other end goes into the end of the drops, my LBS mechanic sorted out an expansion bolt fitting for this for me so that it's easily removable. As I use Midge bars the drop area is very short so I didn't cut any off, you may want to shorten the drops for yours. I think I spent about £5 overall and it works very well, actually easier than a bar end shifter.

Another alternative is to buy a Thorn accessory T Bar, this is like a mini handlebar that fits to your stem in place of some spacers and gives you mounting space for bits including a twist shifter. I've seen this as a solution for a rohloff with drop bars. I think they're about £17 each though. Also I don't know if this would work with your folding setup.

Yet another is not to rule out trigger shifters, I succesfully reamed out the inside clamps on a set of 9 speed shifter pods so that they'll fit round the bends onto the tops of drop bars. Obviously this sort of thing is entirely at your own risk :biggrin: I just used some largish metal files and a bit of elbow grease, 30 mins work

There are other, more expensive options, but for quick, easy and cheap then the home made bar end adaptor for the twist shift takes some beating. Re the bar end shifters, if I was doing them again then I'd buy a pair of 'thumbie'(http://www.paulcomp.com/rdthumbie.html) mounts. These are a bracket that fit on the top of the drops near the stem and then the bar end shifters slot into them, sideways, rather than end on into the bar ends. With the bar end fittings you can't really shift from any regular ride position. It's just about doable from the drops with heel of hand and last couple of fingers but still normally involves some movement of your position. With the thumbies you can shift from tops, corners and, if your hands are large enough, from the hoods as well.

Let me know how you get on and if you need any more detail on anything. I'm certainly no expert, the quantity of information is more due to my mistakes than any knowledge :tongue:

OP
OP
chugsy

chugsy

Thanks for the detailed response!  The modified bar end looks like a winner - shame I don't have access to a vice  :sad: I'm sure I can cobble something together along these lines however.  A friend has suggested a Minoura Space Grip - not cheap but I'm watching a couple on the Bay ATM...  don't want to overspend as it's all money off the bar con budget.

Thanks for the opinions on using bar cons - I currently ride my other bikes predominantly on the bars ends so am used to moving my hand to change gear.  I think I might plump for the dia compes as they aren't fussy about what derailleur you have and can be reused if I decide to move the drops to my full sized hybrid - the Ultegra's indexing might be useless with my X7 so a waste of an extra 12 quid...

Any experience with inline cable adjusters?  Just noticed my derailleur has no adjustment!

OP
OP
chugsy

chugsy

Finally sorted out the mount for the shifter:thumbsup: following MacB's advice I set about hacking up an old bar end. I don't have many tools and resigned myself to going out today to buy a vice and some files... looking at the bars and the amount of filing required to negotiate the bends I decided to cut the clamp instead using the one tool I do have - a 99p junior hacksaw :whistle: .

Tightens up well enough for shifting duties - just got to buys some bar tape and jobs a good 'un.

Pics in my gallery:

http://www.cyclechat.net/gallery/album/9834/60-dahon-speed-p8-drop-conversion/

gallery_9834_60_104326.jpg

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
good job Chugsy, I like it, though it does make me wonder why so many bits are made without a hinged clamp. Not bar ends, obviously, but all sorts of bits would be easier with a little hinge.

Top Bottom