Suitable bladed spoke

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Nightmare ride...broken spoke = buckled wheel. Thanks to the MTB couple who gave us a hand at the top of the hill and thanks to the chap at BAd Ass Bikes of Burrington Coombe, at the bottom of the hill, I got back home.

Anyhow would like to know if it is easy enough to get a replacement bladed spoke for the one broken. The wheel is a Ritchey WCS Protocol 700c, so does anyone know a link for a suitable bladed spoke?

Thanks in advance.

Just glad that the wheel isn't a write off, thought it was 50/50.

kyuss

Veteran
A quick google suggests those wheels use DT Aerolite spokes. I wouldn't use anything else, not a good idea to mix and match. They're fairly popular/standard spokes so your LBS should be able to order them if they don't have them in stock, but be prepared, they are expensive.

OP
OP
Monsieur Remings
Thanks Kyuss, shame I can't find anything cheaper but from a good source I'm told it should be alright being only one spoke????

What do you all reckon people?

battered

Guru
If it still rolls then you can replace one spoke and retrue the wheel. You'd know if the wheel was scrap by now as the rim would be folded up and wouldn't turn.

OP
OP
Monsieur Remings
Thanks people, don't know if I made it clear but I reckon I must have hit a pothole whilst the spoke was done because the buckle is horrible. The mountain bikers I met thought it would be scrap because it was bad enough to stop dead through the brakes until they were released (leaving me with front only for the ride home after a hand tying it to the next spoke).

Any case I got to the bottom of the hill where I found a thoroughly decent chap from Bad Ass Bikes (Burrington Coombe) who said it could be sorted but gave me no promises. That'll do for now. Beats a new set.

Thanks for the spoke link Pete, also found some here...
http://www.parker-international.co.uk/5269/DT-Swiss-New-Aero-Spokes.html

...but I'm not sure about the right lengths/dimension for a Ritchey 700c WCS Protocol.?.?.?

OP
OP
Monsieur Remings
Cheers Pete, think it might be some trouble finding the right length but will have a go at that.

Does that link of mine seem any good? I was going to buy a few anyway, just in case, so cheaper eh? O(r am I missing something beyond the VAT?

:blush:

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Monsieur Remings said:
Cheers Pete, think it might be some trouble finding the right length but will have a go at that.

Does that link of mine seem any good? I was going to buy a few anyway, just in case, so cheaper eh? O(r am I missing something beyond the VAT?

:smile:

Just take an existing spoke off and measure it.

The spokes you link to will be a bit thicker in the blade but DT make very strong spokes so they should be a reasonable if not perfect replacement.

BTW - after reading some reviews about these wheels I'd make sure there are no cracks around the spoke holes in the rim because if the rim has gone they are a binner. Also check as to where the spoke broke - a lot of breakages seem to be the nipples.

You will need something to hold the spoke while you tighten it as if it is allowed to twist it will fracture the bladed section, a bit of doweling with a slot cut in it with a saw along its length is a good choice.

OP
OP
Monsieur Remings
Okay, the link I gave

...say they don't deal with Ritchey which seems a bit clueless of them given that you've said they'd be fine Pete so...

the link you gave to JustRidingAlong, would they be okay, or exactly what I'm looking for Pete?

Thanks for the patience, I really want to get this sorted otherwise I'll be without a ride for a few weeks given that the LBS is already booked up.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Monsieur Remings said:
Okay, the link I gave

...say they don't deal with Ritchey which seems a bit clueless of them given that you've said they'd be fine Pete so...

the link you gave to JustRidingAlong, would they be okay, or exactly what I'm looking for Pete?

Thanks for the patience, I really want to get this sorted otherwise I'll be without a ride for a few weeks given that the LBS is already booked up.

They are the Aerolite spokes which presumably the wheels have - just make sure you order the right length.

Top Bottom