Suitable Brooks saddle for hybrid bike???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
philepo

philepo

Veteran
ok, thanks very much for all that!

Plax

Guru
I've put a B17 on my hybrid (my tourer came with a B17 which is what converted me). I confess that when I use my MTB for commuting I swap the saddle and seatpost over onto it. I've never seen anyone else on a MTB with a Brooks, but I must say I think it looks pretty smart :biggrin:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Come down to Llanidloes during half term. If you see a Boardman Pro HT MTB with a black Brooks B17N it will be mine. It gives a very elegantly designed bike a certain steampunk chic imo.

Mycroft

I've never worked out what a hybrid is, aren't all modern bikes a hybrid of older styles? :becool:

Anyway, I was in the same quandary as the OP, but once decided on Brooks it was down to sprung or unsprung, the B17 gets so much praise, but I assumed this was at least in part, down to it being the entry level saddle. money.

however as I was fitting it to an aluminium bike, harder ride, in case I made a mistake I opted for a sprung saddle, and to avoid messing around with non "standard" fittings, made the Flyer my choice.

while they "can" be a bugger to break in, it is SO much better than most of the sharp concrete that poses as saddles on bicycles today.

broken in, it is a delight, part of the reason I WANT to ride, it is a thing of beauty of form and function and eminently un-noticeable when in use, which is as it should be.

I find myself riding even more upright now for various reasons unconnected with the saddle, but it is just as comfortable. I would suggest a B66 or B67 if you ride very upright though, but the speed might suffer slightly as one tends to be so comfortable that the relaxing scenery requires more attention and so the calming effect slows the rider somewhat :thumbsup: that is just an opinion though.

I have an old Brooks*, around 70 years old, non "standard" fittings, been lying in sheds for years, was mouldy, scared and beaten. however it is one of the most comfortable saddles EVER. some TLC in the form of the warm embrace of various oils and some Brooks proof hide have restored a certain sheen to it, but its had a long life and for now it is retired, and hangs on the wall with an even more battered italian counterpart (restored also) I feel that is where they will stay. the Brooks however might well be called into service once more, if I can find a convincing enough reason for a fixie.

I read something once about Brooks saddles, to the effect of "with care you will wear out before they do" I believe this to be true.

Check out the Brooks website if you haven't already

* (B70 something the 3 is obscured, but it looks like a 73)

OP
OP
philepo

philepo

Veteran
Thanks for that Mycroft and the rest. I am pretty sure I will order the Flyer (or the B17). My bike is a 700c tourer style with upright city style bars so there is more weight on my back side and I also ride a little off road with the dog and it is a stiff aluminium frame so def go for a flyer (but it is heavy, so maybe a b17, damn)
Thnaks for the advice.

chap

Veteran
Excellent to 'hear', and thank you all for the kind compliments. My ego is now as padded as those 'Gel' seats; which fortunately, for our OP, shall soon be a murky relic of the past!

Top Bottom