Suitable Brooks saddle for hybrid bike???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

philepo

Veteran
Hi
I wondered if anyone had any experience with brooks saddles? My new bike (Revolution Streetfinder, Edinburgh Bike Coop) is great but the narrow gel saddle is a pain in the...

I think i want a sprung saddle as this new alloy bike is v stiff feeling but I don't want a super wide pashley style thing.

ANy ideas?

Thnaks!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's the GEL saddle, they are horrible. Less is more.

chap

Veteran
The Saddle you are looking for is the Brooks Flyer. This is a sprung version of the inimitably highly esteemed classic known as the 'B17' - superlatives are not enough to express the high regard in which generations of cyclists hold, and have held, for the make. Am I an owner...well no, but I have been studying my next purchase, let me be your guide.

For a hybrid you will likely want an all rounder, something wide but not too wide as there shall be times you wish to pootle and others when you must dash. This is where the Brooks B17 comes in to its own, with its shape being wide-enough, thus not obtrusive, so you can knuckle down and belt forth like mercury on the tip of the winds reach.

If it must be sprung, then the aforementioned Flyer is the best thing, it should hold all the properties you cherish and hold dear of the B17, but it will give you more cushion - sans the pushin'. It is slightly heavier (well a bit), but then on a full-sized hybrid it is comfort that should rank as number one.

To get the best idea, search the Brooks website, it shall explain things nicely for you. It is also good that you wrote on this forum, since this will add gravitas to your approaching testimony, thus withstand the scepticism of time in a bitter age begging for kindness and a little more longevity.

All the best.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
B17, or a Flyer as per the 'chap' above said if you want some spring in your step.

Very well said 'chap' are you Dellzeqq in disguise?

Brain_biter

I have a B17 too and it is great. Just make sure you treat it with leather cream every now and then, it keeps it water proof, and it will last you 30+ years.

OP
OP
philepo

philepo

Veteran
Thanks for all that great info, especially Chap's elloquent advice. So you lot don't think having springs is all that important???

I will prob for for the Flyer.

Thanks again.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
No springs needed.
B17 standard is all you need. Been using them for nearly 30 years on my racing bike and old fixed wheeler. be fine on a hybrid, no springs necessary, they have more natural give than other saddles..

OP
OP
philepo

philepo

Veteran
Hmm, not sure now.
I have no concerns about weight, just comfort.
cycling on trails is more comfy with springs no?
cheers

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Springs is needed if the bike has an upright riding position and your style of riding means a more weight is on your tata than on your legs and arms.

More importantly if a Flyer will make you ride your bike more readily, more often, because you think it is more comfy, or just looks more cool, then the Flyer is the one for you.

Top Bottom