Summer Base Layers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pedal pusher

Veteran
I am out most weekends and tend to start out early (6:30 ish) so it's still quite cold so I put a wind proof on and i'm boiled after 10 mins. I have been looking for a long sleeve base layer that will keep the chill off first thing and not be to hot come mid day when the sun comes out to play. Any ideas ?

Citius

sleeveless base layer plus arm warmers

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I either go with short sleeves and arm warmers with a rain cape for the first 10-15 minutes or if I don't think it will warm up then long sleeves and the rain cape. Either way the rain cape packs down really small and I carry it anyway in case of emergency. The trick is to take it off when warm but before boil in the bag occurs,

bpsmith

Veteran
I just started using a mesh type short sleeve base layer and arm warmers. Amazed at how the base layer traps enough air to keep me warm, when it's colder, and also cools me down, when it's warmer. Definitely converted!

I find it cooler with the base layer on than without it in warmer weather too.

Arm warmers are brilliant for when it's obviously cold early on, or when you're not quite sure if it's long or short sleeve Jersey time before setting out on an evening ride.

Lemond

I just started using a mesh type short sleeve base layer and arm warmers. Amazed at how the base layer traps enough air to keep me warm, when it's colder, and also cools me down, when it's warmer. Definitely converted!

I find it cooler with the base layer on than without it in warmer weather too.

Arm warmers are brilliant for when it's obviously cold early on, or when you're not quite sure if it's long or short sleeve Jersey time before setting out on an evening ride.

Which base layer are you using?

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
I am out most weekends and tend to start out early (6:30 ish) so it's still quite cold so I put a wind proof on and i'm boiled after 10 mins. I have been looking for a long sleeve base layer that will keep the chill off first thing and not be to hot come mid day when the sun comes out to play. Any ideas ?
I got a long sleeve "aero" base layer from decathlon, it has mesh sleeves so keeps wind off but haven't felt over heated wearing it. Sometimes stuck a sleeveless top over it on windy days to keep chill off chest. Was about 22 I think

NorvernRob

Lightweight windproof gilet and possibly arm warmers if there's a chill, I have a Gore Windstopper Gilet which with armwarmers is great for right down to 6-7c, and a Rapha Pro Team which seems flimsy but totally stops the wind and is perfect for that last bit of chill on a summer morning.

I can stop and take them off, everything fits easily into one pocket, just leaving a short sleeved top - I run far too hot to wear anything other than just a jersey when the weather is half decent.

LaurenceStanley

Not that I own any (yet!) but I'd think arm warmers are the way to go. Really easy to take on/off depending on how you feel.

Sometimes I only realise I'm underdressed when I'm 10 minutes down the road and there's no chance I'm turning back!

Top Bottom