Summer Cycling Trousers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

Are these over trousers for riding down to the corner shop to pick up a carton of milk?

Or are you intending to ride 25 miles on a Sunday morning, and the 25 miles home after tea and cakes?

If it is the latter, you will soon realise why most cyclists go for the aerodynamic, low wind resistance, skin tight look of black cycle shorts and proper road jersey.

vickster

Legendary Member
If you just want something very light, I have these in the cropped version

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/deefuz-1000-trousers-47242069/

Stretchy flexible material, comfy over cycling shorts

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
jimboalee said:
Are these over trousers for riding down to the corner shop to pick up a carton of milk?

Or are you intending to ride 25 miles on a Sunday morning, and the 25 miles home after tea and cakes?

If it is the latter, you will soon realise why most cyclists go for the aerodynamic, low wind resistance, skin tight look of black cycle shorts and proper road jersey.

Millions of cyclists ride those sort of distances to cafes and back every weekend wearing baggie stuff. They are called mtb-ers. Doesn't seem to stop them enjoying themselves. Of course if you want to RACE to the cafe and back whilst pretending to be a member of Team (insert name of your hero's team here) in your replica or club kit, that's another matter.

On the roads not everyone wants the sartorial disaster that is lycra road kit for social riding or touring. Some of us would like to appear/dress normal when riding solo or in a small group, or when going to the cafe, museum, b&b, old church, whatever. Some of us think full time lycra and road jerseys just reinforces the image of cycling and cyclists as an 'out' group. My rugby refs gear is extremely efficient for the task it is desinged to do, which largely is walking about. I'd look, and be, a fool if I walked to the shops in it.

I'd be fascinated to know if anyone has done any serious research in drag co-efficients of cycling given I've riden 200km rides in baggie trousers without chaffing, wearing myself out, or getting dropped by the lycra boys.

Comfort isn't just physical, it is psychological as well. Efficiency isn't everything, style is important to.

Jugular

If I was intending to ride for 200km with a group of people in lycra, you know, I'd probably wear it too. What's the point in standing out, then you're just out of the out group, and honestly, that doesn't mean you're 'in'.

I'm quite certain that baggy clothing has a huge efficiency effect on my cycling, however most of the time I'm not racing to get anywhere and like to blend in at least a little when off the bike. If I was racing, I'd buy some lycra.

jimboalee

GregCollins said:
Millions of cyclists ride those sort of distances to cafes and back every weekend wearing baggie stuff. They are called mtb-ers. Doesn't seem to stop them enjoying themselves. Of course if you want to RACE to the cafe and back whilst pretending to be a member of Team (insert name of your hero's team here) in your replica or club kit, that's another matter.

On the roads not everyone wants the sartorial disaster that is lycra road kit for social riding or touring. Some of us would like to appear/dress normal when riding solo or in a small group, or when going to the cafe, museum, b&b, old church, whatever. Some of us think full time lycra and road jerseys just reinforces the image of cycling and cyclists as an 'out' group. My rugby refs gear is extremely efficient for the task it is desinged to do, which largely is walking about. I'd look, and be, a fool if I walked to the shops in it.

I'd be fascinated to know if anyone has done any serious research in drag co-efficients of cycling given I've riden 200km rides in baggie trousers without chaffing, wearing myself out, or getting dropped by the lycra boys.

Comfort isn't just physical, it is psychological as well. Efficiency isn't everything, style is important to.

I've mentioned the University Papers by Chester Kyle; and the work in the wind tunnel at MIRA before on CycleChat and got the piss-take, so I'm not repeating it.

All I can say is "Yes there has".

OK, so you've done 200 rides in baggies. Would the ride been easier without that 8% aerodynamic penalty?
You may as well have towed a parachute ;)

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
jimboalee said:
I've mentioned the University Papers by Chester Kyle; and the work in the wind tunnel at MIRA before on CycleChat and got the piss-take, so I'm not repeating it.

All I can say is "Yes there has".

OK, so you've done 200 rides in baggies. Would the ride been easier without that 8% aerodynamic penalty?
You may as well have towed a parachute :angry:

Send me a PM about 'em will you? I'm genuinely interested in the debate. I will not take the piss. I think most of what I see you post holds a lot of water fwiw. But efficiency is a hard mistress....

I'm no racing snake, I carry a fair bit of adipose tissue on my torso, and I don't intend to opt for liposuction even though it could make getting up hills easier. But I'm one of the fat-fit, I took part in a Loughborough Uni study a couple of years ago and I've got a certificate to prove it :tongue:, great leg strength/flexibility for my age, excellent CV fitness, loads of stamina but I'm technically obese!.

Would those rides have been easier without the baggies? According to physics yes. But would the difference have been discernable? If the ride was within my 'comfort zone' anyway, and remember we aren't talking a 200 km TT, then would 8% more efficiency have made a noticeable difference. I could probably get similar gains from riding on the drops and taking the saddlebag off the bike.

My Dad was a paratrooper during WWII. He assures me the drag of one was considerably more than 8% :angry:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
To add my experience to the baggy vs tight discussion. I mainly ride in baggy clothes (and a backpack on my back), and changing to baggy clothes minus the backpack, the difference is minimal, less sweat on my back, further changing to tight clothing (without the bag), the difference is very noticable.

For argument sake, this is riding at about 17-18mph average speed, with tri bars in a city environment (it is flat) over about 10 mile.

I doubt your saddle bag would contribute much difference Greg, TT'ists mount their bottles in that possition for a reason :tongue:

Norm

GregCollins said:
Send me a PM about 'em will you? I'm genuinely interested in the debate. I will not take the piss.
Any chance that I could see that too, Jimbo. Although I can't guarantee not to take the piss. :tongue:

Is that 8% related to the speed? I can't remember the details but I think that aero drag increases with the square of the speed? So someone who only travelled at 5mph would not be seeing the same efficiency saving as someone who travelled at 25mph.

Ugh... my head hurts. :angry:

OP
OP
Bandini

Bandini

To the guy who mentioned the lycra (fogot to quote and on short break!)

I ride a 40 mile round commute 2 or 3 times a week, and do a fair few miles at weekends/holidays.

I have tried lycra, but despite my eclectic tastes, my inner mod just can't relax! I like fairly conservative, 'timeless' jerseys (just bought a lovely Shutt VR Tour jersey), and black leather trainer/shoes on my bike - wanted something I could go to the pub in, as well as ride in, for summer.

I ride a run of the mill touring bike, so I am not that bothered about speed to be honest.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Rob3rt said:
To add my experience to the baggy vs tight discussion. I mainly ride in baggy clothes (and a backpack on my back), and changing to baggy clothes minus the backpack, the difference is minimal, less sweat on my back, further changing to tight clothing (without the bag), the difference is very noticable.

For argument sake, this is riding at about 17-18mph average speed, with tri bars in a city environment (it is flat) over about 10 mile.

I doubt your saddle bag would contribute much difference Greg, TT'ists mount their bottles in that possition for a reason :smile:

My nelson is wider than my r's!:sad:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Rob3rt said:
haha, googled it, I was thinking along the lines of a normal saddle bag, that thing is giant :smile:

Harumpff! A Carradice IS a normal saddle bag, it's the new fangled seat packs that are weird! :smile:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I tie a flapjack to my top tube with some string or use clingfilm to wrap it there, not one of great knowledge on luggage systems :smile:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'm of the full picnic, bottle of wine, small flask of espresso and a hip flask of Armagnac school of touring myself :smile:

OP
OP
Bandini

Bandini

Should just say: I am not averse to lycra, per se - I just like to be able to go to the pub and stuff without feeling self conscious!

Top Bottom