SUN, 21st May, 2017. Todmorden to Settle and back. 127 km (79 miles)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I am intending to do a scenic ride from Todmorden to Settle and back next Sunday (21st May, 2017. Post below if you might be interested in joining me. (Before anyone asks - sorry, I can't make it the Saturday because of a family visit!)

The 127 km route (79 mile) route has some tough hills (especially in the first half of the ride), but the average speed will be fairly low so if you are reasonably fit and have a nice low climbing gear then you should be ok.

If I have company, we will stop at a cafe in Settle. That would be about halfway in distance and with about two thirds of the climbing completed.

I intend to set off at 09:00 but if anybody were coming over by train we could delay the start by 15-20 minutes to fit in with the first train arrivals of the day (09:17 from the Manchester direction and 09:16 from the Hebden Bridge direction. There is also a train from Blackburn at 08:55.)

If there is interest, I'll post more details.

********** ColinJ's forum ride tag list **********
RSVP:
@doughnut
********** (If you'd like your name added to future invites, let me know below) **********

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

LAST CALL

I have my sisters and nephew arriving shortly so I won't have much time to try and persuade you to join me! (TBH, persuasion shouldn't really be necessary. It's a great route. If you are free, fit enough and like challenging terrain - sign up below and I will arrange to meet you on Sunday morning. If not. maybe another time?)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Well, all those who turned out (me!) had a good ride! Nobody got left behind. All participants were pretty tired by the end and decided not to bother doing an extra 20+ mile loop to get an imperial century in!

129 km (80 miles) with 2,130 m (7,000 ft) of climbing.

At least double the turnout is guaranteed for next weekend's ride to Wray because @Littgull is going to join me! (You can too - go on, you know you want to ...)

Last edited:

doughnut

Veteran
Sorry Colin, I should read CC more often than every few days :smile: But it was Sunday so I wouldn't have been available anyway.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I didn't even manage to join you in spirit. On Sunday I woke with something resembling a hangover (woozy, headache). Odd, for someone who hasn't touched alcohol for over ten years.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Sorry Colin, I should read CC more often than every few days :smile: But it was Sunday so I wouldn't have been available anyway.
I'm just cutting and pasting the 'tag list' every time now so I didn't even think about the Sunday thing! Nobody else has volunteered to join you on the list, but I'll add names as and when.
I didn't even manage to join you in spirit. On Sunday I woke with something resembling a hangover (woozy, headache). Odd, for someone who hasn't touched alcohol for over ten years.
Sounds like the spirits were with you in spirit though ... :okay:

I had something like that a couple of years ago. I might have been prepared to put up with a hangover after a good night out, but the pain without the pleasure - no thanks! I reckon I had picked up some kind of mild virus. It went away after a few days. I hope you are feeling more clear-headed now!

Top Bottom